Wind energy as a potential generation source at Ras Benas, Egypt
Analysis of the wind characteristics in Ras Benas city located on the east coast of Red Sea in Egypt using measured data (wind, pressure and temperature) and Weibull function were made. Statistical analysis model to evaluate the wind energy potential was introduced. According to the power calculations done for the site, the annual mean wind density is 315Â kW/m2 at a height of 70Â m above ground level. This station has a huge wind energy potential for electricity generation, especially during spring and summer seasons, comparing with some European countries. In addition, the monthly wind turbine efficiency parameter ([eta]monthly) has been calculated by using a commercial wind turbine 1Â MW with 70Â m hub height to help designers and users in evaluating the potentialities and choosing the suitable wind turbine for the considered site. The use of wind turbine with capacity greater than 1000Â kW at this station was recommended. Ras Benas station was selected to install 30Â MW-wind farm consists of 20 commercial wind turbines (Nordex S 77) with hub heights and Rotor diameter were 100 and 77Â m, respectively. This site has annual wind speed more than 9.8Â m/s at 100Â m height and enough area to locate these turbines. The estimated energy production using WASP Program of these wind farm was 130Â GWh/year. Furthermore, the production costs was found 1.3[euro]Â cent/kWh, which is a competition price at the wind energy world market.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 8 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ackermann, Thomas & Söder, Lennart, 2002. "An overview of wind energy-status 2002," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 67-127.
- Rehman, Shafiqur & Al-Abbadi, Naif M., 2007. "Wind shear coefficients and energy yield for Dhahran, Saudi Arabia," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 738-749.
- Kainkwa, R.M.R., 2000. "Wind speed pattern and the available wind power at Basotu, Tanzania," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 289-295.
- Khogali, A. & Albar, O.F. & Yousif, B., 1991. "Wind and solar energy potential in Makkah (Saudi Arabia)—Comparison with Red Sea coastal sites," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 435-440.
- Sarkar, M. & Hussain, M., 1991. "The potential of wind electricity generation in Bangladesh," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 1(5), pages 855-857.
- Ilinca, Adrian & McCarthy, Ed & Chaumel, Jean-Louis & Rétiveau, Jean-Louis, 2003. "Wind potential assessment of Quebec Province," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 1881-1897.
- Chang, Tsang-Jung & Wu, Yu-Ting & Hsu, Hua-Yi & Chu, Chia-Ren & Liao, Chun-Min, 2003. "Assessment of wind characteristics and wind turbine characteristics in Taiwan," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 851-871.
- Teetz, H.W. & Harms, T.M. & von Backström, T.W., 2003. "Assessment of the wind power potential at SANAE IV base, Antarctica: a technical and economic feasibility study," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(13), pages 2037-2061.
- Mathew, Sathyajith & Pandey, K.P. & Kumar.V, Anil, 2002. "Analysis of wind regimes for energy estimation," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 381-399.
- Mihelić-Bogdanić, Alka & Budin, Rajka, 1992. "Specific wind energy as a function of mean speed," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 573-576.
- Ahmed Shata, A.S. & Hanitsch, R., 2008. "Electricity generation and wind potential assessment at Hurghada, Egypt," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 141-148.
- Ahmed Shata, A.S. & Hanitsch, R., 2006. "The potential of electricity generation on the east coast of Red Sea in Egypt," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 1597-1615.
- Awanou, Cossi Norbert & Degbey, Joseph Marcellin & Ahlonsou, Epiphane, 1991. "Estimation of the mean wind energy available in Benin (Ex Dahomey)," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 1(5), pages 845-853.
- Gökçek, Murat & Bayülken, Ahmet & Bekdemir, Şükrü, 2007. "Investigation of wind characteristics and wind energy potential in Kirklareli, Turkey," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1739-1752.
- Ben Amar, F. & Elamouri, M. & Dhifaoui, R., 2008. "Energy assessment of the first wind farm section of Sidi Daoud, Tunisia," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 2311-2321.
- Alnaser, W.E., 1993. "Assessment of the possibility of using three types of wind turbine in Bahrain," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 179-184.
- Chang, Tsang-Jung & Tu, Yi-Long, 2007. "Evaluation of monthly capacity factor of WECS using chronological and probabilistic wind speed data: A case study of Taiwan," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 1999-2010.
- Pallabazzer, Rodolfo & Gabow, Abdulkadir A., 1992. "Wind generator potentiality in Somalia," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 353-361.
- Pimenta, Felipe & Kempton, Willett & Garvine, Richard, 2008. "Combining meteorological stations and satellite data to evaluate the offshore wind power resource of Southeastern Brazil," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2375-2387.
- Ngala, G.M. & Alkali, B. & Aji, M.A., 2007. "Viability of wind energy as a power generation source in Maiduguri, Borno state, Nigeria," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(13), pages 2242-2246.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:14:y:2010:i:8:p:2167-2173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.