Individually rational buyback contracts with inventory level dependent demand
In this paper, we consider a supply chain coordination problem when demand faced by a retailer is influenced by the amount of inventory displayed on the retail shelf. We assume that shelf space inventory is used as one of the levers to stimulate demand. Our objective in this research is to design individually rational contracts that coordinate the supply chain when the retailer faces inventory-level-dependent demand. We consider a buyback contract where any leftover inventory at the retailer can be returned to the supplier at a pre-specified terms of the buyback contract. The existing buyback contracts in the supply chain coordination literature do not guarantee the satisfaction of individual rationality constraint. A continuum of buyback contracts coordinate the supply chain. The contracts may differ on the basis of division of profits resulting in contracts that may not be individually rational. This motivates us to use the Shapley value from the cooperative game theory which ensures fairness and individual rationality in the buyback contract. We also provide managerial insights into the design of the contracts and analyze the impact of shelf space inventory on the contract parameters.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andy A. Tsay, 1999. "The Quantity Flexibility Contract and Supplier-Customer Incentives," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(10), pages 1339-1358, October.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 2005. "Supply Chain Coordination with Revenue-Sharing Contracts: Strengths and Limitations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Zhou, Yong-Wu & Min, Jie & Goyal, Suresh K., 2008. "Supply-chain coordination under an inventory-level-dependent demand rate," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 518-527, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521899437 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marcel Corstjens & Peter Doyle, 1981. "A Model for Optimizing Retail Space Allocations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(7), pages 822-833, July.
- Yunzeng Wang & Yigal Gerchak, 2001. "Supply Chain Coordination when Demand Is Shelf-Space Dependent," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(1), pages 82-87, August.
- A. A. Tsay & W. S. Lovejoy, 1999. "Quantity Flexibility Contracts and Supply Chain Performance," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 1(2), pages 89-111.
- Stavrulaki, Euthemia, 2011. "Inventory decisions for substitutable products with stock-dependent demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 65-78, January.
- Lian, Zhaotong & Deshmukh, Abhijit, 2009. "Analysis of supply contracts with quantity flexibility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 526-533, July.
- Yuyue Song & Saibal Ray & Shanling Li, 2008. "Structural Properties of Buyback Contracts for Price-Setting Newsvendors," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(1), pages 1-18, November.
- Abel P. Jeuland & Steven M. Shugan, 1983. "Managing Channel Profits," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 239-272.
- Giannoccaro, Ilaria & Pontrandolfo, Pierpaolo, 2004. "Supply chain coordination by revenue sharing contracts," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 131-139, May.
- Anantaram Balakrishnan & Michael S. Pangburn & Euthemia Stavrulaki, 2008. "Integrating the Promotional and Service Roles of Retail Inventories," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(2), pages 218-235, July.
- Urban, Timothy L., 2005. "Inventory models with inventory-level-dependent demand: A comprehensive review and unifying theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(3), pages 792-804, May.
- Barry Alan Pasternack, 1985. "Optimal Pricing and Return Policies for Perishable Commodities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 166-176.
- Karen L. Donohue, 2000. "Efficient Supply Contracts for Fashion Goods with Forecast Updating and Two Production Modes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(11), pages 1397-1411, November.
- Shen, Yuelin & Willems, Sean P., 2012. "Coordinating a channel with asymmetric cost information and the manufacturer's optimality," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 125-135.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:142:y:2013:i:2:p:381-387. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.