An inventory system with single distributor and multiple retailers: Operating scenarios and performance comparison
We consider a single-distributor multi-retailer inventory system in six operating scenarios for a finite horizon. Five scenarios are in decentralized control and the other one is in centralized control. Approximate dynamic programming (ADP) procedures are developed to obtain system performances for scenarios in decentralized control, and a stochastic dynamic programming approach is applied to the scenario in centralized control. The efficiency and effectiveness of ADP procedures are demonstrated by numerical results. Taking the system performance in centralized control as a benchmark, system performances in decentralized control are investigated and compared for different operating scenarios. The results provide useful insights in system planning and operations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lode Li, 2002.
"Information Sharing in a Supply Chain with Horizontal Competition,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm288, Yale School of Management.
- Lode Li, 2002. "Information Sharing in a Supply Chain with Horizontal Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(9), pages 1196-1212, September.
- Hau L. Lee & V. Padmanabhan & Seungjin Whang, 1997. "Information Distortion in a Supply Chain: The Bullwhip Effect," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(4), pages 546-558, April.
- Ki-Seok Choi & J. G. Dai & Jing-Sheng Song, 2004. "On Measuring Supplier Performance Under Vendor-Managed-Inventory Programs in Capacitated Supply Chains," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 53-72, April.
- Byrne, P.J. & Heavey, Cathal, 2006. "The impact of information sharing and forecasting in capacitated industrial supply chains: A case study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 420-437, September.
- Peter L. Jackson, 1988. "Stock Allocation in a Two-Echelon Distribution System Or "What to Do Until Your Ship Comes In"," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(7), pages 880-895, July.
- Sven Axsäter & Kaj Rosling, 1993. "Notes: Installation vs. Echelon Stock Policies for Multilevel Inventory Control," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1274-1280, October.
- Maura P. Doyle & Christopher M. Snyder, 1997.
"Information sharing and competition in the motor vehicle industry,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Maura P. Doyle & Christopher M. Snyder, 1999. "Information Sharing and Competition in the Motor Vehicle Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(6), pages 1326-1364, December.
- Abdul-Jalbar, Beatriz & Gutiérrez, José M. & Sicilia, Joaquín, 2009. "A two-echelon inventory/distribution system with power demand pattern and backorders," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 519-524, December.
- Fangruo Chen & Awi Federgruen & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 2001. "Coordination Mechanisms for a Distribution System with One Supplier and Multiple Retailers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 693-708, May.
- Francis de Véricourt & Fikri Karaesmen & Yves Dallery, 2002. "Optimal Stock Allocation for a Capacitated Supply System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(11), pages 1486-1501, November.
- Lee, Dong Joo & Jeong, In-Jae, 2010. "A distributed coordination for a single warehouse-multiple retailer problem under private information," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 190-199, May.
- Fernando Bernstein & Awi Federgruen, 2005. "Decentralized Supply Chains with Competing Retailers Under Demand Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 18-29, January.
- Mor Armony & Erica L. Plambeck, 2005. "The Impact of Duplicate Orders on Demand Estimation and Capacity Investment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(10), pages 1505-1518, October.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Marshall Fisher, 2000. "Supply Chain Inventory Management and the Value of Shared Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1032-1048, August.
- Wang, Hongwei & Guo, Min & Efstathiou, Janet, 2004. "A game-theoretical cooperative mechanism design for a two-echelon decentralized supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 372-388, September.
- Hau L. Lee & Kut C. So & Christopher S. Tang, 2000. "The Value of Information Sharing in a Two-Level Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 626-643, May.
- Esmaeili, M. & Zeephongsekul, P., 2010. "Seller-buyer models of supply chain management with an asymmetric information structure," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 146-154, January.
- Fernando Bernstein & Fangruo Chen & Awi Federgruen, 2006. "Coordinating Supply Chains with Simple Pricing Schemes: The Role of Vendor-Managed Inventories," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(10), pages 1483-1492, October.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1985. "Information Sharing in Oligopoly," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 329-43, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:128:y:2010:i:1:p:434-444. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.