Demand forecasting for multiple slow-moving items with short requests history and unequal demand variance
Modeling the lead-time demand for the multiple slow-moving inventory items in the case when the available requests history is very short is a challenge for inventory management. The classical forecasting technique, which is based on the aggregation of the stock keeping units to overcome the mentioned historical data peculiarity, is known to lead to very poor performance in many cases important for industrial applications. An alternative approach to the demand forecasting for the considered problem is based on the Bayesian paradigm, when the initially developed population-averaged demand probability distribution is modified for each item using its specific requests history. This paper follows this approach and presents a new model, which relies on the beta distribution as a prior for the request probability, and allows to account for disparity in variance of demand between different stock keeping units. To estimate the model parameters, a special computationally effective technique based on the generalized method of moments is developed. Simulation results indicate the superiority of the proposed model over the known ones, while the computational burden does not increase.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bunn, Derek W. & Vassilopoulos, Angelos I., 1999. "Comparison of seasonal estimation methods in multi-item short-term forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 431-443, October.
- Aronis, Kostas-Platon & Magou, Ioulia & Dekker, Rommert & Tagaras, George, 2004.
"Inventory control of spare parts using a Bayesian approach: A case study,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 154(3), pages 730-739, May.
- Aronis, K-P. & Magou, I. & Dekker, R. & Tagaras, G., 1999. "Inventory control of spare parts using a Bayesian approach: a case study," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9950-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Willemain, Thomas R. & Smart, Charles N. & Schwarz, Henry F., 2004. "A new approach to forecasting intermittent demand for service parts inventories," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 375-387.
- Dekker, Mark & van Donselaar, Karel & Ouwehand, Pim, 2004. "How to use aggregation and combined forecasting to improve seasonal demand forecasts," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 151-167, July.
- Hill, Roger M., 1997. "Applying Bayesian methodology with a uniform prior to the single period inventory model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 555-562, May.
- Dolgui, Alexandre & Ould-Louly, Mohamed-Aly, 2002. "A model for supply planning under lead time uncertainty," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 145-152, July.
- Petrovic, R. & Senborn, A. & Vujosevic, M., 1989. "A new adaptive algorithm for determination of stocks in spare parts inventory systems," Engineering Costs and Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 405-410, May.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2002. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 1-3, January.
- Syntetos, Aris A. & Boylan, John E., 2006. "On the stock control performance of intermittent demand estimators," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 36-47, September.
- Ram Tripathi & Ramesh Gupta & John Gurland, 1994. "Estimation of parameters in the beta binomial model," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 317-331, June.
- Boylan, J.E. & Syntetos, A.A., 2007. "The accuracy of a Modified Croston procedure," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 511-517, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:112:y:2008:i:2:p:885-894. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.