Rapid cost estimation of metallic components for the aerospace industry
This paper illustrates and compares the results of the application of two different approaches--non-parametric and artificial neural network techniques--for the rapid cost estimation of turbine components. This technique is a simple and automatic way for the estimation of the cost of a piece with no expert intervention. Three methods of estimation are compared: the projection pursuit method (PPR), the local polynomial approach (LOESS) and adaptive neural networks (ANNs). This comparative analysis serves to enhance current work that seeks to choose the optimum predictor model. The results confirm the validity of the neural network theory in this field of application, but not a clear superiority as compared with the non-parametric approach. The present research provides a new tool to avoid inadequate piece budgeting strategies. The use of these methods contributes to the minimisation of errors in the budgeting of new items.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Araz, Ceyhun & Ozkarahan, Irem, 2007. "Supplier evaluation and management system for strategic sourcing based on a new multicriteria sorting procedure," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 585-606, April.
- Hutchinson, James M & Lo, Andrew W & Poggio, Tomaso, 1994.
" A Nonparametric Approach to Pricing and Hedging Derivative Securities via Learning Networks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(3), pages 851-889, July.
- James M. Hutchinson & Andrew W. Lo & Tomaso Poggio, 1994. "A Nonparametric Approach to Pricing and Hedging Derivative Securities Via Learning Networks," NBER Working Papers 4718, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- Barria, J A & Hall, Stephen G, 2002. "A Non-parametric Approach to Pricing and Hedging Derivative Securities: With an Application to LIFFE Data," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 19(3), pages 303-322, June.
- Kearns, P., 1993. "Volatility and the Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Claims," Papers 47, Rochester, Business - Ph.D.,.
- H'mida, Fehmi & Martin, Patrick & Vernadat, Francois, 2006. "Cost estimation in mechanical production: The Cost Entity approach applied to integrated product engineering," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 17-35, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:112:y:2008:i:1:p:470-482. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.