Sheared disk packings as a model system for complex dynamics
Stress fluctuations in a model of densely packed disks under steady shear reproduce many features known for complex systems. These include fat-tailed probability distributions, volatility clustering and long-range autocorrelations. Using a rescaling analysis developed in econophysics, we relate stress rises and falls to rearrangements of the disks.
Volume (Year): 394 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, C. W. J., 1980. "Long memory relationships and the aggregation of dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 227-238, October.
- Richmond, Peter & Mimkes, Jurgen & Hutzler, Stefan, 2013. "Econophysics and Physical Economics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199674701, March.
- Lobato, Ignacio N & Velasco, Carlos, 2000. "Long Memory in Stock-Market Trading Volume," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 410-27, October.
- Fabrizio Lillo & J. Doyne Farmer, 2003.
"The long memory of the efficient market,"
cond-mat/0311053, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2004.
- Richard B. Olsen & Ulrich A. Müller & Michel M. Dacorogna & Olivier V. Pictet & Rakhal R. Davé & Dominique M. Guillaume, 1997. "From the bird's eye to the microscope: A survey of new stylized facts of the intra-daily foreign exchange markets (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 95-129.
- Yanhui Liu & Parameswaran Gopikrishnan & Pierre Cizeau & Martin Meyer & Chung-Kang Peng & H. Eugene Stanley, 1999. "The statistical properties of the volatility of price fluctuations," Papers cond-mat/9903369, arXiv.org, revised Mar 1999.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:394:y:2014:i:c:p:312-319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.