Geographical influences of an emerging network of gang rivalries
We propose an agent-based model to simulate the creation of street gang rivalries. The movement dynamics of agents are coupled to an evolving network of gang rivalries, which is determined by previous interactions among agents in the system. Basic gang data, geographic information, and behavioral dynamics suggested by the criminology literature are integrated into the model. The major highways, rivers, and the locations of gangs’ centers of activity influence the agents’ motion. We use a policing division of the Los Angeles Police Department as a case study to test our model. We apply common metrics from graph theory to analyze our model, comparing networks produced by our simulations and an instance of a Geographical Threshold Graph to the existing network from the criminology literature.
Volume (Year): 390 (2011)
Issue (Month): 21 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. T. Gastner & M. E.J. Newman, 2006. "The spatial structure of networks," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 49(2), pages 247-252, 01.
- Toroczkai, Zoltán & Guclu, Hasan, 2007. "Proximity networks and epidemics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 378(1), pages 68-75.
- Jie-Jun Tseng & Chih-Hao Lin & Chih-Ting Lin & Sun-Chong Wang & Sai-Ping Li, 2010. "Statistical properties of agent-based models in markets with continuous double auction mechanism," Papers 1002.0917, arXiv.org.
- Tseng, Jie-Jun & Lin, Chih-Hao & Lin, Chih-Ting & Wang, Sun-Chong & Li, Sai-Ping, 2010. "Statistical properties of agent-based models in markets with continuous double auction mechanism," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(8), pages 1699-1707.
- Wong, Ling Heng & Pattison, Philippa & Robins, Garry, 2006. "A spatial model for social networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 360(1), pages 99-120.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:390:y:2011:i:21:p:3894-3914. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.