Model of wealth and goods dynamics in a closed market
A simple computer simulation model of a closed market on a fixed network with free flow of goods and money is introduced. The model contains only two variables: the amount of goods and money beside the size of the system. An initially flat distribution of both variables is presupposed. We show that under completely random rules, i.e. through the choice of interacting agent pairs on the network and of the exchange rules that the market stabilizes in time and shows diversification of money and goods. We also indicate that the difference between poor and rich agents increases for small markets, as well as for systems in which money is steadily deduced from the market through taxation. It is also found that the price of goods decreases when taxes are introduced, likely due to the less availability of money.
Volume (Year): 373 (2007)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Repetowicz, Przemysław & Hutzler, Stefan & Richmond, Peter, 2005. "Dynamics of money and income distributions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 356(2), pages 641-654.
- Ausloos, Marcel & Vandewalle, N. & Ivanova, K., 2000. "Time is money," MPRA Paper 28703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Iglesias, J.R. & Gonçalves, S. & Pianegonda, S. & Vega, J.L. & Abramson, G., 2003. "Wealth redistribution in our small world," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 327(1), pages 12-17.
- Arnab Das & Sudhakar Yarlagadda, 2003. "Analytic treatment of a trading market model," Papers cond-mat/0304685, arXiv.org.
- Przemyslaw Repetowicz & Stefan Hutzler & Peter Richmond, 2004. "Dynamics of Money and Income Distributions," Papers cond-mat/0407770, arXiv.org.
- Donangelo, R & Sneppen, K, 2002. "Cooperativity in a trading model with memory and production," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 316(1), pages 581-591.
- Anirban Chakraborti & Bikas K. Chakrabarti, 2000. "Statistical mechanics of money: How saving propensity affects its distribution," Papers cond-mat/0004256, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2000.
- Pianegonda, S & Iglesias, J.R & Abramson, G & Vega, J.L, 2003. "Wealth redistribution with conservative exchanges," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 322(C), pages 667-675.
- Chatterjee, Arnab & K. Chakrabarti, Bikas & Manna, S.S, 2004. "Pareto law in a kinetic model of market with random saving propensity," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 335(1), pages 155-163.
- Arnab Chatterjee & Bikas K. Chakrabarti & S. S. Manna, 2003. "Pareto Law in a Kinetic Model of Market with Random Saving Propensity," Papers cond-mat/0301289, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2004.
- Stéphane Hallegatte, 2006. "A Cost-Benefit Analysis of the New Orleans Flood Protection System," Post-Print hal-00164628, HAL.
- A. Chakraborti & B.K. Chakrabarti, 2000. "Statistical mechanics of money: how saving propensity affects its distribution," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 17(1), pages 167-170, September.
- Manolova, Petia & Lai Tong, Charles & Deissenberg, Christophe, 2003. "Money and exchange in an economy with spatially differentiated agents," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 445-453.
- Patriarca, Marco & Chakraborti, Anirban & Kaski, Kimmo, 2004. "Gibbs versus non-Gibbs distributions in money dynamics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 340(1), pages 334-339.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:373:y:2007:i:c:p:560-568. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.