Are preholiday returns in Tokyo really anomalous? If so, why?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bruce N. Lehmann and David M. Modest., 1994. "Trading and Liquidity on the Tokyo Stock Exchange: A Bird's Eye View," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-234, University of California at Berkeley.
- Josef Lakonishok, Seymour Smidt, 1988. "Are Seasonal Anomalies Real? A Ninety-Year Perspective," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(4), pages 403-425.
- Lo, Andrew W & MacKinlay, A Craig, 1990.
"When Are Contrarian Profits Due to Stock Market Overreaction?,"
Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 175-205.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan) & MacKinlay, Archie Craig, 1955-., 1989. "When are contrarian profits due to stock market overreaction?," Working papers 3008-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989. "When are Contrarian Profits Due to Stock Market Overreaction?," NBER Working Papers 2977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M., 1987. "The Relation between Price Changes and Trading Volume: A Survey," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 109-126, March.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Hertzel, Michael G, 1993. "Return Autocorrelations around Nontrading Days," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 155-189.
- Chang, Rosita P. & Fukuda, Toru & Ghon Rhee, S. & Taakano, Makoto, 1993. "Intraday and interday behavior of the TOPIX," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 67-95, March.
- Kim, Chan-Wung & Park, Jinwoo, 1994. "Holiday Effects and Stock Returns: Further Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(1), pages 145-157, March.
- Kiyoshi Kato, 1990. "Weekly Patterns in Japanese Stock Returns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(9), pages 1031-1043, September.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1991. "Volatility, Efficiency, and Trading: Evidence from the Japanese Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1765-1789, December.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1986. "A transaction data study of weekly and intradaily patterns in stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 99-117, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ali Akyol, 2011. "Stock returns around nontrading periods: evidence from an emerging market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(20), pages 1549-1560.
- Takato Hiraki & Edwin D. Maberly, 2000. "An analysis of Japanese stock return dynamics conditional on U.S. Monday holiday closures," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2000-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Bremer, Marc & Hiraki, Takato, 1999. "Volume and individual security returns on the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 351-370, August.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Lang, Larry H. P. & Lee, Yi Tsung, 1999. "Performance of various transaction frequencies under call markets: The case of Taiwan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 23-39, February.
- Benjamin M. Blau & Bonnie F. Van Ness & Robert A. Van Ness, 2009. "Intraday Stealth Trading: Which Trades Move Prices During Periods Of High Volume?," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 32(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Madhavan, Ananth, 2000. "Market microstructure: A survey," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-258, August.
- Xu, Cheng Kenneth, 2000. "The microstructure of the Chinese stock market," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 79-97.
- Charles, Amélie, 2010.
"The day-of-the-week effects on the volatility: The role of the asymmetry,"
European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 143-152, April.
- Amélie Charles, 2010. "The day-of-the week effects on the volatility: The role of the asymmetry," Post-Print hal-00771136, HAL.
- Tim Bollerslev & Jia Li & Yuan Xue, 2018. "Volume, Volatility, and Public News Announcements," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 85(4), pages 2005-2041.
- Adam Zaremba & Jacob Koby Shemer, 2018. "Price-Based Investment Strategies," Springer Books, Springer, number 978-3-319-91530-2, April.
- Steven L. Heston & Robert A. Korajczyk & Ronnie Sadka, 2010.
"Intraday Patterns in the Cross‐section of Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(4), pages 1369-1407, August.
- Steven L. Heston & Robert A. Korajczyk & Ronnie Sadka, 2010. "Intraday Patterns in the Cross-section of Stock Returns," Papers 1005.3535, arXiv.org.
- Brian Lucey, 2005.
"Are local or international influences responsible for the pre-holiday behaviour of Irish equities?,"
Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(6), pages 381-389.
- Brian Lucey & Edel Tully, 2005. "Are Local or International influences responsible for the pre-holiday behaviour of Irish equities?," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp056, IIIS.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1995.
95.400, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- GHYSELS, Eric & HARVEY, Andrew & RENAULT, Eric, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," LIDAM Discussion Papers CORE 1995069, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Eric Ghysels & Andrew Harvey & Eric Renault, 1995. "Stochastic Volatility," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-49, CIRANO.
- Ghysels, E. & Harvey, A. & Renault, E., 1996. "Stochastic Volatility," Cahiers de recherche 9613, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Paweł Strawiński & Robert Ślepaczuk, 2008.
"Analysis of HF data on the WSE in the context of EMH,"
2008-08, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Strawinski, Pawel & Slepaczuk, Robert, 2008. "Analysis of HF data on the WSE in the context of EMH," MPRA Paper 9532, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Semenov, Andrei, 2015. "The small-cap effect in the predictability of individual stock returns," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 178-197.
- Lean, Hooi Hooi & Smyth, Russell & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2007.
"Revisiting calendar anomalies in Asian stock markets using a stochastic dominance approach,"
Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 125-141, April.
- Lean Hooi Hooi & Wong Wing Keung & Russell Smyth, 2005. "Revisiting Calender Anomolies in Asian Stock Markets Using a Stochastic Dominance Approach," Monash Economics Working Papers 16/05, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Mehmet Dicle & John Levendis, 2014. "The day-of-the-week effect revisited: international evidence," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 38(3), pages 407-437, July.
- Nyborg, Kjell G. & Östberg, Per, 2014. "Money and liquidity in financial markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 30-52.
- Wing-Keung Wong & Aman Agarwal & Nee-Tat Wong, 2006. "The Disappearing Calendar Anomalies in the Singapore Stock Market," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 11(2), pages 123-139, Jul-Dec.
- Ahn, Hee-Joon & Cai, Jun & Hamao, Yasushi & Ho, Richard Y. K., 2002. "The components of the bid-ask spread in a limit-order market: evidence from the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 399-430, November.
- Xu, Xiaoqing Eleanor & Wu, Chunchi, 1999. "The intraday relation between return volatility, transactions, and volume," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 375-397, November.
- Griffiths, Mark D. & Turnbull, D. Alasdair S. & White, Robert W., 1999. "Re-examining the small-cap myth: problems in portfolio formation and liquidation," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 201-221.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Cai, Jun, 2000. "Intraday and interday volatility in the Japanese stock market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 107-130, June.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pacfin:v:3:y:1995:i:1:p:93-111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nithya Sathishkumar). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/pacfin .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.