Continuity, completeness and the definition of weak preferences
This note explores the connections between continuity and completeness under alternative conceptions of preference relations. For non-trivial preorders, it shows that, unlike the standard definitions, the weak preference relation defined inÂ Galaabaatar and Karni (2010) allows for incomplete preferences while maintaining all the continuity properties of complete preference relations. It also makes it possible to distinguish indifference between alternatives from non-comparability of alternatives. If the preference relations are complete, this definition agrees with the customary definitions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dubra, Juan & Maccheroni, Fabio & Ok, Efe A., 2004.
"Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 118-133, March.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maacheroni & Efe A. Ok, 2001. "Expected Utility Theory without the Completeness Axiom," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1294, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maccheroni & Efe Oki, 2001. "Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 11-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Chateauneuf, Alain, 1987. "Continuous representation of a preference relation on a connected topological space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 139-146, April.
- Schmeidler, David, 1971.
"A Condition for the Completeness of Partial Preference Relations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 403-04, March.
- SCHMEIDLER, David, . "A condition for the completeness of partial preference relations," CORE Discussion Papers RP -86, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tsogbadral Galaabaatar & Edi Karni, 2010. "Objective and Subjective Expected Utility with Incomplete Preferences," Economics Working Paper Archive 572, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Juan Dubra, 2010.
"Continuity and Completeness under Risk,"
Documentos de Trabajo/Working Papers
1004, Facultad de Ciencias Empresariales y Economia. Universidad de Montevideo..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:62:y:2011:i:2:p:123-125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.