Measuring inequality with interval data
This paper employs the axiomatic approach underpinning the literature on income inequality measurement to analyze measures of dispersion in interval data. We find that some widely employed measures fail to properly measure dispersion when data are not of the ratio type. We go on to prove that, under reasonable conditions, variance is the only decomposable measure that can be used to consistently measure inequality of interval data. Moreover, the only proper Lorenz dominance condition for interval data is absolute Lorenz dominance that Moyes [Moyes, P., 1987. A new concept of Lorenz domination. Economics Letters 23, 203-207] introduced.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moyes, Patrick, 1987. "A new concept of Lorenz domination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 203-207.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-625, April.
- Buhong Zheng, 2007. "Inequality orderings and unit consistency," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 29(3), pages 515-538, October.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-920, July.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Buhong Zheng, 2007. "Unit-Consistent Decomposable Inequality Measures," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(293), pages 97-111, 02.
- Zheng, Buhong, 1994. "Can a Poverty Index Be Both Relative and Absolute?," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1453-1458, November.