Can existing institutions protect biodiversity in areas beyond national jurisdiction? Experiences from two on-going processes
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- O'Leary, B.C. & Brown, R.L. & Johnson, D.E. & von Nordheim, H. & Ardron, J. & Packeiser, T. & Roberts, C.M., 2012. "The first network of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the high seas: The process, the challenges and where next," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 598-605.
- Ardron, Jeff & Gjerde, Kristina & Pullen, Sian & Tilot, Virginie, 2008. "Marine spatial planning in the high seas," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 832-839, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ardron, Jeff A. & Rayfuse, Rosemary & Gjerde, Kristina & Warner, Robin, 2014. "The sustainable use and conservation of biodiversity in ABNJ: What can be achieved using existing international agreements?," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 98-108.
- Rochette, Julien & Billé, Raphaël & Molenaar, Erik J. & Drankier, Petra & Chabason, Lucien, 2015. "Regional oceans governance mechanisms: A review," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 9-19.
- Dona Barirani, 2022. "A UN Treaty for Marine Biodiversity: Establishing Environmental Policy Integration in Global Governance," Global Policy, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 13(3), pages 390-400, June.
- Cvitanovic, C. & Hobday, A.J. & van Kerkhoff, L. & Marshall, N.A., 2015. "Overcoming barriers to knowledge exchange for adaptive resource management; the perspectives of Australian marine scientists," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 38-44.
- Wright, Glen & Ardron, Jeff & Gjerde, Kristina & Currie, Duncan & Rochette, Julien, 2015. "Advancing marine biodiversity protection through regional fisheries management: A review of bottom fisheries closures in areas beyond national jurisdiction," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 134-148.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Ban, Natalie C. & Maxwell, Sara M. & Dunn, Daniel C. & Hobday, Alistair J. & Bax, Nicholas J. & Ardron, Jeff & Gjerde, Kristina M. & Game, Edward T. & Devillers, Rodolphe & Kaplan, David M. & Dunstan,, 2014. "Better integration of sectoral planning and management approaches for the interlinked ecology of the open oceans," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 127-136.
- Marshall, C.E. & Glegg, G.A. & Howell, K.L., 2014. "Species distribution modelling to support marine conservation planning: The next steps," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 330-332.
- Crow White & Christopher Costello, 2014. "Close the High Seas to Fishing?," PLOS Biology, Public Library of Science, vol. 12(3), pages 1-5, March.
- Sebastian Ernst Volkmann & Thomas Kuhn & Felix Lehnen, 2018. "A comprehensive approach for a techno-economic assessment of nodule mining in the deep sea," Mineral Economics, Springer;Raw Materials Group (RMG);Luleå University of Technology, vol. 31(3), pages 319-336, October.
- Rochette, Julien & Unger, Sebastian & Herr, Dorothée & Johnson, David & Nakamura, Takehiro & Packeiser, Tim & Proelss, Alexander & Visbeck, Martin & Wright, Andrew & Cebrian, Daniel, 2014. "The regional approach to the conservation and sustainable use of marine biodiversity in areas beyond national jurisdiction," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 109-117.
- Kelly, Christina & Ellis, Geraint & Flannery, Wesley, 2018. "Conceptualizing change in marine governance: Learning from Transition Management," MarXiv 649en, Center for Open Science.
- Brennan, Jonathon & Fitzsimmons, Clare & Gray, Tim & Raggatt, Laura, 2014. "EU marine strategy framework directive (MSFD) and marine spatial planning (MSP): Which is the more dominant and practicable contributor to maritime policy in the UK?," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 359-366.
- Lima, Daniela Oliveira de & Crouzeilles, Renato & Vieira, Marcus Vinícius, 2020. "Integrating strict protection and sustainable use areas to preserve the Brazilian Pampa biome through conservation planning," Land Use Policy, Elsevier, vol. 99(C).
- Geijer, Christina K.A. & Jones, Peter J.S., 2015. "A network approach to migratory whale conservation: Are MPAs the way forward or do all roads lead to the IMO?," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 1-12.
- Armstrong, Claire W. & Foley, Naomi S. & Kahui, Viktoria & Grehan, Anthony, 2014. "Cold water coral reef management from an ecosystem service perspective," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(PA), pages 126-134.
- Huang, Wei & Corbett, James J. & Jin, Di, 2015. "Regional economic and environmental analysis as a decision support for marine spatial planning in Xiamen," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 555-562.
- Kerr, S. & Johnson, K. & Side, J.C., 2014. "Planning at the edge: Integrating across the land sea divide," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 118-125.
- Dunn, Daniel C. & Ardron, Jeff & Bax, Nicholas & Bernal, Patricio & Cleary, Jesse & Cresswell, Ian & Donnelly, Ben & Dunstan, Piers & Gjerde, Kristina & Johnson, David & Kaschner, Kristin & Lascelles,, 2014. "The Convention on Biological Diversity's Ecologically or Biologically Significant Areas: Origins, development, and current status," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 137-145.
- Stevens, T.F. & Sheehan, E.V. & Gall, S.C. & Fowell, S.C. & Attrill, M.J., 2014. "Monitoring benthic biodiversity restoration in Lyme Bay marine protected area: Design, sampling and analysis," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 310-317.
More about this item
KeywordsHigh seas; Biological diversity; Areas beyond national jurisdiction; ABNJ; MPA; Marine governance;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:marpol:v:49:y:2014:i:c:p:167-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/marpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Liu (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/marpol .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.