Differentiated social risk: Rebound dynamics and sustainability performance in mining
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Mariano Croce & Kai Li & Anthony Diercks & Hengjie Ai, 2014. "Production-Based Term Structure of Equity Returns," 2014 Meeting Papers 1162, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- A. Greening, Lorna & Greene, David L. & Difiglio, Carmen, 2000. "Energy efficiency and consumption -- the rebound effect -- a survey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6-7), pages 389-401, June.
- Hilson, Gavin & Murck, Barbara, 2000. "Sustainable development in the mining industry: clarifying the corporate perspective," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 227-238, December.
- Lu, Shunyou & Chen, Qinggao & Lei, Ting & Wang, Yuanhui & Liu, Huizhong, 2014. "Study on the Production Benefit of Large-scale Tobacco," Asian Agricultural Research, USA-China Science and Culture Media Corporation, vol. 6(05), pages 1-3, May.
- an Ha Truong & Thi My Anh Le, 2014. "Overview of bamboo biomass for energy production," Working Papers halshs-01100209, HAL.
- Dong He & Wenlang Zhang & Gaofeng Han & Tommy Wu, 2014.
"Productivity Growth of the Nontradable Sectors in China,"
Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 655-666, November.
- Dong He & Wenlang Zhang & Gaofeng Han & Tommy Wu, 2012. "Productivity Growth of the Non-Tradable Sectors in China," Working Papers 082012, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Cowell, Sarah J. & Wehrmeyer, Walter & Argust, Peter W. & Robertson, J. Graham S., 1999. "Sustainability and the primary extraction industries: theories and practice," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 277-286, December.
- Owen, John R. & Kemp, Deanna, 2013. "Social licence and mining: A critical perspective," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 29-35.
- World Commission on Environment and Development,, 1987. "Our Common Future," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192820808.
- ., 2014. "Production: the benefit of working together," Chapters, in: Reframing Economics, chapter 2, pages 11-27, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- David Humphreys, 2015. "The Remaking of the Mining Industry," Palgrave Macmillan Books, Palgrave Macmillan, number 978-1-137-44201-7, March.
- Terje Aven & Ortwin Renn, 2009. "On risk defined as an event where the outcome is uncertain," Journal of Risk Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Tilton, John E., 1996. "Exhaustible resources and sustainable development : Two different paradigms," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 91-97.
- Ortwin Renn, 2004. "Perception of Risks," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 29(1), pages 102-114, January.
- Farrell, Leanne A. & Hamann, Ralph & Mackres, Eric, 2012. "A clash of cultures (and lawyers): Anglo Platinum and mine-affected communities in Limpopo Province, South Africa," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 194-204.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ruilian Zhang & Sandy Worden & Junzhuo Xu & John R. Owen & Guoqing Shi, 2022. "Social stability risk assessment and economic competitiveness in China," Palgrave Communications, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 1-7, December.
- Yıldız, Taşkın Deniz, 2021. "Possible effects of mining zone regulation on mining companies in Turkey & evaluation of mining companies," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 71(C).
- Lèbre, Éléonore & Owen, John R. & Kemp, Deanna & Valenta, Rick K., 2022. "Complex orebodies and future global metal supply: An introduction," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 77(C).
- Julia Keenan & Deanna Kemp & John Owen, 2019. "Corporate responsibility and the social risk of new mining technologies," Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 26(4), pages 752-760, July.
- Frank Vanclay & Philippe Hanna, 2019. "Conceptualizing Company Response to Community Protest: Principles to Achieve a Social License to Operate," Land, MDPI, vol. 8(6), pages 1-31, June.
- Yıldız, Taşkın Deniz, 2021. "How can the effects of EIA procedures and legislation foreseen for the mining operation activities to mining change positively in Turkey?," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 72(C).
- Owen, John R. & Kemp, Deanna, 2017. "Social management capability, human migration and the global mining industry," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 259-266.
- Leena Suopajärvi & Karin Beland Lindahl & Toni Eerola & Gregory Poelzer, 2023. "Social aspects of business risk in the mineral industry—political, reputational, and local acceptability risks facing mineral exploration and mining," Mineral Economics, Springer;Raw Materials Group (RMG);Luleå University of Technology, vol. 36(2), pages 321-331, June.
- Yıldız, Taşkın Deniz & Kural, Orhan, 2020. "The effects of the mining operation activities permit process on the mining sector in Turkey," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(C).
- Olivier Boiral & Iñaki Heras‐Saizarbitoria & Marie‐Christine Brotherton, 2023. "Sustainability management and social license to operate in the extractive industry: The cross‐cultural gap with Indigenous communities," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(1), pages 125-137, February.
- Ottone Scammacca & Rasool Mehdizadeh & Yann Gunzburger, 2022. "Territorial Mining Scenarios for Sustainable Land-Planning: A Risk-Based Comparison on the Example of Gold Mining in French Guiana," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 14(17), pages 1-25, August.
- António Mateus & Luís Martins, 2021. "Building a mineral-based value chain in Europe: the balance between social acceptance and secure supply," Mineral Economics, Springer;Raw Materials Group (RMG);Luleå University of Technology, vol. 34(2), pages 239-261, July.
- Deanna Kemp & John R. Owen, 2022. "Corporate social irresponsibility, hostile organisations and global resource extraction," Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 29(5), pages 1816-1824, September.
- Julien Bongono & Birol Elevli & Bertrand Laratte, 2020. "Functional Unit for Impact Assessment in the Mining Sector—Part 1," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 12(22), pages 1-12, November.
- Saes, Beatriz Macchione & Muradian, Roldan, 2021. "What misguides environmental risk perceptions in corporations? Explaining the failure of Vale to prevent the two largest mining disasters in Brazil," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 72(C).
- Bach, Vanessa & Finogenova, Natalia & Berger, Markus & Winter, Lisa & Finkbeiner, Matthias, 2017. "Enhancing the assessment of critical resource use at the country level with the SCARCE method – Case study of Germany," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 283-299.
- Bainton, Nicholas & Holcombe, Sarah, 2018. "A critical review of the social aspects of mine closure," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 468-478.
- Frederiksen, Tomas, 2018. "Corporate social responsibility, risk and development in the mining industry," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 495-505.
- Kwame Awuah-Offei & Sisi Que & Atta Ur Rehman, 2021. "Evaluating Mine Design Alternatives for Social Risks Using Discrete Choice Analysis," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 13(16), pages 1-15, August.
- Gudrun Franken & Philip Schütte, 2022. "Current trends in addressing environmental and social risks in mining and mineral supply chains by regulatory and voluntary approaches," Mineral Economics, Springer;Raw Materials Group (RMG);Luleå University of Technology, vol. 35(3), pages 653-671, December.
- Santiago, Ana Lúcia & Demajorovic, Jacques & Rossetto, Dennys Eduardo & Luke, Hanabeth, 2021. "Understanding the fundamentals of the Social Licence to Operate: Its evolution, current state of development and future avenues for research," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 70(C).
- Demajorovic, Jacques & Lopes, Juliana Campos & Santiago, Ana Lucia Frezzatti, 2019. "The Samarco dam disaster: A grave challenge to social license to operate discourse," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 273-282.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Juliana Segura-Salazar & Luís Marcelo Tavares, 2018. "Sustainability in the Minerals Industry: Seeking a Consensus on Its Meaning," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 10(5), pages 1-38, May.
- Viveros, Hector, 2017. "Unpacking stakeholder mechanisms to influence corporate social responsibility in the mining sector," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 1-12.
- Vintró, Carla & Fortuny, Jordi & Sanmiquel, Lluís & Freijo, Modesto & Edo, Joaquín, 2012. "Is corporate social responsibility possible in the mining sector? Evidence from Catalan companies," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 118-125.
- Fuisz-Kehrbach, Sonja-Katrin, 2015. "A three-dimensional framework to explore corporate sustainability activities in the mining industry: Current status and challenges ahead," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(P1), pages 101-115.
- Badera Jarosław, 2014. "Problems of the social non-acceptance of mining projects with particular emphasis on the European Union – a literature review," Environmental & Socio-economic Studies, Sciendo, vol. 2(1), pages 27-34, March.
- Anthony Hodge, 2017. "Towards contribution analysis," WIDER Working Paper Series wp-2017-19, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Maria Amélia Rodrigues da Silva Enríquez & José Drummond, 2007. "Social‐environmental certification: Sustainable development and competitiveness in the mineral industry of the Brazilian Amazon," Natural Resources Forum, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(1), pages 71-86, February.
- Pactwa, Katarzyna & Woźniak, Justyna & Strempski, Andrzej, 2021. "Sustainable mining – Challenge of Polish mines," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 74(C).
- Endl, Andreas & Tost, Michael & Hitch, Michael & Moser, Peter & Feiel, Susanne, 2021. "Europe's mining innovation trends and their contribution to the sustainable development goals: Blind spots and strong points," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 74(C).
- Van Alstine, James & Barkemeyer, Ralf, 2014. "Business and development: Changing discourses in the extractive industries," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 4-16.
- Heledd Jenkins, 2004. "Corporate social responsibility and the mining industry: conflicts and constructs," Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 11(1), pages 23-34, March.
- Devenin, Verónica, 2021. "Collaborative community development in mining regions: The Calama Plus and Creo Antofagasta programs in Chile," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 70(C).
- Justyna Woźniak & Katarzyna Pactwa, 2017. "Environmental Activity of Mining Industry Leaders in Poland in Line with the Principles of Sustainable Development," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 9(11), pages 1-13, November.
- Fraser, Jocelyn & Kunz, Nadja C. & Batdorj, Bulgan, 2019. "Can mineral exploration projects create and share value with communities? A case study from Mongolia," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 1-1.
- Valeria Andreoni, 2010. "Material Flows Accounting: A Biophysical Approach to Macroeconomic Sustainability," Transition Studies Review, Springer;Central Eastern European University Network (CEEUN), vol. 17(1), pages 217-228, May.
- Pons, Adrià & Vintrò, Carla & Rius, Josep & Vilaplana, Jordi, 2021. "Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility in mining industries," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 72(C).
- Lochner Marais & Etienne Nel, 2016. "The dangers of growing on gold: Lessons for mine downscaling from the Free State Goldfields, South Africa," Local Economy, London South Bank University, vol. 31(1-2), pages 282-298, February.
- van Berkel, Rene, 2007. "Eco-efficiency in primary metals production: Context, perspectives and methods," Resources, Conservation & Recycling, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 511-540.
- Yu, Jing & Zhang, Zhongjun & Zhou, Yifan, 2008. "The sustainability of China's major mining cities," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 12-22, March.
- Hans Jakob Walnum & Carlo Aall & Søren Løkke, 2014. "Can Rebound Effects Explain Why Sustainable Mobility Has Not Been Achieved?," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 6(12), pages 1-28, December.
More about this item
KeywordsMining; Project management; Risk; Social risk; Social impact; Social licence; Sustainable development;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jrpoli:v:50:y:2016:i:c:p:19-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30467 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Liu (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30467 .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.