Optimizing inventory and marketing policy for non-instantaneous deteriorating items with generalized type deterioration and holding cost rates
This paper considers an inventory system with non-instantaneous deteriorating item in which demand rate is a function of advertisement of an item and selling price. This paper aids the retailer in maximizing the total profit by determining optimal inventory and marketing parameters. In contrast to previous inventory models, an arbitrary holding cost rate and arbitrary deterioration rate have been incorporated to provide general framework to the model. First, a mathematical model is formulated and then some useful theoretical results have been framed to characterize the optimal solutions. The necessary and sufficient conditions for the existence and uniqueness of the optimal solutions are also derived. An algorithm is designed to find the optimum solutions of the proposed model. Numerical examples are included to illustrate the algorithmic procedure and the effects of key parameters are studied to analyze the behavior of the model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jörnsten, Kurt & Lise Nonås, Sigrid & Sandal, Leif & Ubøe, Jan, 2012. "Transfer of risk in the newsvendor model with discrete demand," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 404-414.
- Chang, Horng-Jinh & Teng, Jinn-Tsair & Ouyang, Liang-Yuh & Dye, Chung-Yuan, 2006. "Retailer's optimal pricing and lot-sizing policies for deteriorating items with partial backlogging," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 51-64, January.
- Maihami, Reza & Nakhai Kamalabadi, Isa, 2012. "Joint pricing and inventory control for non-instantaneous deteriorating items with partial backlogging and time and price dependent demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 116-122.
- Yang, Shilei & Shi, Chunming Victor & Zhao, Xuan, 2011. "Optimal ordering and pricing decisions for a target oriented newsvendor," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 110-115, January.
- Dye, Chung-Yuan & Chang, Horng-Jinh & Teng, Jinn-Tsair, 2006. "A deteriorating inventory model with time-varying demand and shortage-dependent partial backlogging," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 172(2), pages 417-429, July.
- Kim, Sang-Won & Bell, Peter C., 2011. "Optimal pricing and production decisions in the presence of symmetrical and asymmetrical substitution," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 528-538, October.
- Muhlemann, A. P. & Valtis-Spanopoulos, N. P., 1980. "A variable holding cost rate EOQ model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 132-135, February.
- Goh, M., 1994. "EOQ models with general demand and holding cost functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 50-54, February.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 2006. "A joint optimal pricing, rebate value, and lot sizing model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 706-723, October.
- Goyal, S.K., 1987. "Economic ordering policy for deteriorating items over an infinite time horizon," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 298-301, March.
- P. L. Abad, 1996. "Optimal Pricing and Lot-Sizing Under Conditions of Perishability and Partial Backordering," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(8), pages 1093-1104, August.
- Musa, Abubakar & Sani, Babangida, 2012. "Inventory ordering policies of delayed deteriorating items under permissible delay in payments," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 75-83.
- Wu, Kun-Shan & Ouyang, Liang-Yuh & Yang, Chih-Te, 2006. "An optimal replenishment policy for non-instantaneous deteriorating items with stock-dependent demand and partial backlogging," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 369-384, June.
- Arcelus, F.J. & Kumar, Satyendra & Srinivasan, G., 2012. "Risk tolerance and a retailer's pricing and ordering policies within a newsvendor framework," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 188-198, April.
- Banerjee, Pradeep K. & Turner, T. Rolf, 2012. "A flexible model for the pricing of perishable assets," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 533-540.
- Kim, DaeSoo & Lee, Won J., 1998. "Optimal joint pricing and lot sizing with fixed and variable capacity," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 212-227, August.
- Deane, Jason & Agarwal, Anurag, 2012. "Scheduling online advertisements to maximize revenue under variable display frequency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 562-570.
- Alfares, Hesham K., 2007. "Inventory model with stock-level dependent demand rate and variable holding cost," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 259-265, July.
- Dye, Chung-Yuan, 2007. "Joint pricing and ordering policy for a deteriorating inventory with partial backlogging," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 184-189, April.
- Weiss, Howard J., 1982. "Economic order quantity models with nonlinear holding costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 56-60, January.
- Goyal, S. K. & Giri, B. C., 2001. "Recent trends in modeling of deteriorating inventory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 1-16, October.
- Abad, P. L., 1994. "Supplier pricing and lot sizing when demand is price sensitive," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 334-354, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:2:p:421-430. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.