Generalized symmetric weight assignment technique: Incorporating managerial preferences in data envelopment analysis using a penalty function
In this paper, we generalize the Symmetric Weight Assignment Technique to incorporate all managerial preferences in Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). This is a method that promotes managerial preferences, while not changing the feasibility region of the nominal DEA model, unlike standard techniques such as cone ratio and assurance region that potentially yield infeasible problems. We discuss how this generalization is motivated by a real word problem where the decision maker's preference is not precisely known. We also discuss how we are using our generalization in solving a workforce allocation problem for the United States Navy.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sarrico, C. S. & Dyson, R. G., 2004. "Restricting virtual weights in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 17-34, November.
- Kao, Chiang & Hung, Hsi-Tai, 2008. "Efficiency analysis of university departments: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 653-664, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Taylor, William M. & Thompson, Russell G. & Thrall, Robert M. & Dharmapala, P. S., 1997. "DEA/AR efficiency and profitability of Mexican banks a total income model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 346-363, April.
- Morais, Paulo & Camanho, Ana S., 2011. "Evaluation of performance of European cities with the aim to promote quality of life improvements," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 398-409, August.
- Ray, SC & Seiford, LM & Zhu, J, 1998. "Market Entity Behavior of Chinese State-owned Enterprises," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 263-278, April.
- Thompson, Russell G. & Dharmapala, P. S. & Thrall, Robert M., 1995. "Linked-cone DEA profit ratios and technical efficiency with application to Illinois coal mines," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 99-115, April.
- O. B. Olesen & N. C. Petersen, 1996. "Indicators of Ill-Conditioned Data Sets and Model Misspecification in Data Envelopment Analysis: An Extended Facet Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(2), pages 205-219, February.
- Thompson, Russell G. & Langemeier, Larry N. & Lee, Chih-Tah & Lee, Euntaik & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "The role of multiplier bounds in efficiency analysis with application to Kansas farming," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 93-108.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G., 1995. "Exploring output quality targets in the provision of perinatal care in England using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 588-607, February.
- Shimshak, Daniel G. & Lenard, Melanie L. & Klimberg, Ronald K., 2009. "Incorporating quality into data envelopment analysis of nursing home performance: A case study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 672-685, June.
- Estellita Lins, M.P. & Moreira da Silva, A.C. & Lovell, C.A.K., 2007. "Avoiding infeasibility in DEA models with weight restrictions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(2), pages 956-966, September.
- Dimitrov, Stanko & Sutton, Warren, 2010. "Promoting symmetric weight selection in data envelopment analysis: A penalty function approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 281-288, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:1:p:48-54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.