Generalized symmetric weight assignment technique: Incorporating managerial preferences in data envelopment analysis using a penalty function
In this paper, we generalize the Symmetric Weight Assignment Technique to incorporate all managerial preferences in Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). This is a method that promotes managerial preferences, while not changing the feasibility region of the nominal DEA model, unlike standard techniques such as cone ratio and assurance region that potentially yield infeasible problems. We discuss how this generalization is motivated by a real word problem where the decision maker's preference is not precisely known. We also discuss how we are using our generalization in solving a workforce allocation problem for the United States Navy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, William M. & Thompson, Russell G. & Thrall, Robert M. & Dharmapala, P. S., 1997. "DEA/AR efficiency and profitability of Mexican banks a total income model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 346-363, April.
- Dimitrov, Stanko & Sutton, Warren, 2010. "Promoting symmetric weight selection in data envelopment analysis: A penalty function approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 281-288, January.
- O. B. Olesen & N. C. Petersen, 1996. "Indicators of Ill-Conditioned Data Sets and Model Misspecification in Data Envelopment Analysis: An Extended Facet Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(2), pages 205-219, February.
- Ray, SC & Seiford, LM & Zhu, J, 1998. "Market Entity Behavior of Chinese State-owned Enterprises," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 263-278, April.
- Shimshak, Daniel G. & Lenard, Melanie L. & Klimberg, Ronald K., 2009. "Incorporating quality into data envelopment analysis of nursing home performance: A case study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 672-685, June.
- Thompson, Russell G. & Dharmapala, P. S. & Thrall, Robert M., 1995. "Linked-cone DEA profit ratios and technical efficiency with application to Illinois coal mines," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 99-115, April.
- Estellita Lins, M.P. & Moreira da Silva, A.C. & Lovell, C.A.K., 2007. "Avoiding infeasibility in DEA models with weight restrictions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(2), pages 956-966, September.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G., 1995. "Exploring output quality targets in the provision of perinatal care in England using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 588-607, February.
- Thompson, Russell G. & Langemeier, Larry N. & Lee, Chih-Tah & Lee, Euntaik & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "The role of multiplier bounds in efficiency analysis with application to Kansas farming," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 93-108.
- Sarrico, C. S. & Dyson, R. G., 2004. "Restricting virtual weights in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 17-34, November.
- Kao, Chiang & Hung, Hsi-Tai, 2008. "Efficiency analysis of university departments: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 653-664, August.
- Morais, Paulo & Camanho, Ana S., 2011. "Evaluation of performance of European cities with the aim to promote quality of life improvements," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 398-409, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:1:p:48-54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.