An option contract pricing model of relief material supply chain
Relief material management which aims to reduce the impact of disaster and maintain social stability is of great importance for nonprofit organization (NPO) such as government, department of civil affair or Red Cross. However, the research of efficiency and performance on this field has long been ignored. In order to improve the efficiency and performance of the relief material management, we apply the supply chain management method into this field. Considering the relief material management system as a supply chain with one buyer and one supplier, we introduce the option contract mechanism into relief material supply chain management. With reasonable assumptions, we design an option contract with two delivery steps, and build an option pricing model with binominal lattice to estimate the different values of the same option contract for both members of supply chain. Furthermore, we analyze the impacts of the different parameters (such as the ratio of inventory, subjective probability of disaster, etc.), on the supply chain and its members in detail. The numerical example presented at last demonstrates that, with two delivery steps, there is a feasible price range of option contract which makes both members of relief material supply chain profitable and willing to conduct the transaction with option contract.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Apte, Aruna, 2010. "Humanitarian Logistics: A New Field of Research and Action," Foundations and Trends(R) in Technology, Information and Operations Management, now publishers, vol. 3(1), pages 1-100, March.
- Georgiadis, Michael C. & Tsiakis, Panagiotis & Longinidis, Pantelis & Sofioglou, Maria K., 2011. "Optimal design of supply chain networks under uncertain transient demand variations," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 254-272, June.
- Hui Guo & Robert F. Whitelaw, 2006.
"Uncovering the Risk-Return Relation in the Stock Market,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(3), pages 1433-1463, 06.
- Hui Guo & Robert F. Whitelaw, 2003. "Uncovering the Risk-Return Relation in the Stock Market," NBER Working Papers 9927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hui Guo & Robert Whitelaw, 2005. "Uncovering the risk-return relation in the stock market," Working Papers 2001-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Apostolos Burnetas & Peter Ritchken, 2005. "Option Pricing with Downward-Sloping Demand Curves: The Case of Supply Chain Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(4), pages 566-580, April.
- Clay Whybark, D., 2007. "Issues in managing disaster relief inventories," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 228-235, July.
- Spinler, Stefan & Huchzermeier, Arnd, 2006. "The valuation of options on capacity with cost and demand uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 171(3), pages 915-934, June.
- Berling, Peter, 2008. "Real options valuation principle in the multi-period base-stock problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1086-1095, December.
- Driouchi, Tarik & Leseure, Michel & Bennett, David, 2009. "A robustness framework for monitoring real options under uncertainty," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 698-710, June.
- Altay, Nezih & Green III, Walter G., 2006. "OR/MS research in disaster operations management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 475-493, November.
- Zhao, Yingxue & Wang, Shouyang & Cheng, T.C.E. & Yang, Xiaoqi & Huang, Zhimin, 2010. "Coordination of supply chains by option contracts: A cooperative game theory approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(2), pages 668-675, December.
- Tsai, Wen-Hsien & Hung, Shih-Jieh, 2009. "Dynamic pricing and revenue management process in Internet retailing under uncertainty: An integrated real options approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 471-481, April.
- Sawik, Tadeusz, 2011. "Selection of supply portfolio under disruption risks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 194-208, April.
- Gomez_Padilla, A. & Mishina, T., 2009. "Supply contract with options," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 312-318, November.
- Xu, He, 2010. "Managing production and procurement through option contracts in supply chains with random yield," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 306-313, August.
- Barker, Theresa J. & Zabinsky, Zelda B., 2011. "A multicriteria decision making model for reverse logistics using analytical hierarchy process," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 558-573, October.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Wang, Xiaolong & Liu, Liwen, 2007. "Coordination in a retailer-led supply chain through option contract," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1-2), pages 115-127, October.
- Albert Y. Ha & Shilu Tong, 2008. "Contracting and Information Sharing Under Supply Chain Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(4), pages 701-715, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:5:p:594-600. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.