A robust branch-and-cut approach for the minimum-energy symmetric network connectivity problem
This paper considers the minimum-energy symmetric network connectivity problem (MESNC) in wireless sensor networks. The aim of the MESNC is to assign transmission power to each sensor node such that the resulting network, using only bidirectional links, is connected and the total energy consumption is minimized. We first present two new models of this problem and then propose new branch-and-cut algorithms. Based on an existing formulation, we present the first model by introducing additional constraints. These additional constraints allow us to relax certain binary variables to continuous ones and thus to reduce significantly the number of binary variables. Our second model strengthens the first one by adding an exponential number of lifted directed-connectivity constraints. We present two branch-and-cut procedures based on these proposed improvements. The computational results are reported and show that our approaches, using the proposed formulations, can efficiently solve instances with up to 120 nodes, which significantly improve our ability to solve much larger instances in comparison with other exact algorithms in the literature.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aneja, Y.P. & Chandrasekaran, R. & Li, Xiangyong & Nair, K.P.K., 2010. "A branch-and-cut algorithm for the strong minimum energy topology in wireless sensor networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(3), pages 604-612, August.
- Ehrgott, Matthias & Tind, Jørgen, 2009. "Column generation with free replicability in DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 943-950, October.
- Lopez Jr., Juan & Raines, Richard A. & Temple, Michael A. & Baldwin, Rusty O. & Stephens Sr., James P., 2007. "An investigation on the effects of emerging 4G transmissions on 3G networks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 706-714, December.
- Costa, Alysson M. & França, Paulo M. & Lyra Filho, Christiano, 2011. "Two-level network design with intermediate facilities: An application to electrical distribution systems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Alfieri, A. & Bianco, A. & Brandimarte, P. & Chiasserini, C.F., 2007. "Maximizing system lifetime in wireless sensor networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(1), pages 390-402, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:2:p:210-217. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.