FAMCDM: A fusion approach of MCDM methods to rank multiclass classification algorithms
Various methods and algorithms have been developed for multiclass classification problems in recent years. How to select an effective algorithm for a multiclass classification task is an important yet difficult issue. Since the multiclass algorithm selection normally involves more than one criterion, such as accuracy and computation time, the selection process can be modeled as a multiple criteria decision making (MCDM) problem. While the evaluations of algorithms provided by different MCDM methods are in agreement sometimes, there are situations where MCDM methods generate very different results. To resolve this disagreement and help decision makers pick the most suitable classifier(s), this paper proposes a fusion approach to produce a weighted compatible MCDM ranking of multiclass classification algorithms. Several multiclass datasets from different domains are used in the experimental study to test the proposed fusion approach. The results prove that MCDM methods are useful tools for evaluating multiclass classification algorithms and the fusion approach is capable of identifying a compromised solution when different MCDM methods generate conflicting rankings.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Rigopoulos & Kostas Anagnostopoulos, 2010. "Fuzzy Multicriteria Assignment For Nominal Classification: Methodology And Application In Evaluation Of Greek Bank'S Electronic Payment Retailers," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(03), pages 437-454.
- Yu-Ping Ou Yang & How-Ming Shieh & Jun-Der Leu & Gwo-Hshiung Tzeng, 2009. "A Vikor-Based Multiple Criteria Decision Method For Improving Information Security Risk," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(02), pages 267-287.
- Yi Peng & Gang Kou & Guoxun Wang & Wenshuai Wu & Yong Shi, 2011. "Ensemble Of Software Defect Predictors: An Ahp-Based Evaluation Method," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 187-206.
- Hughes, Warren R., 2009. "A statistical framework for strategic decision making with AHP: Probability assessment and Bayesian revision," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 463-470, April.
- Premachandra, I.M. & Chen, Yao & Watson, John, 2011. "DEA as a tool for predicting corporate failure and success: A case of bankruptcy assessment," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 620-626, December.
- Loucopoulos, Constantine, 2001. "Three-group classification with unequal misclassification costs: a mathematical programming approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 291-297, June.
- Ioannidis, Christos & Pasiouras, Fotios & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2010. "Assessing bank soundness with classification techniques," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 345-357, October.
- Yi Peng & Gang Kou & Yong Shi & Zhengxin Chen, 2008. "A Descriptive Framework For The Field Of Data Mining And Knowledge Discovery," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 7(04), pages 639-682.
- Opricovic, Serafim & Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung, 2004. "Compromise solution by MCDM methods: A comparative analysis of VIKOR and TOPSIS," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 445-455, July.
- Kosmidou, K. & Pasiouras, F. & Zopounidis, C. & Doumpos, M., 2006. "A multivariate analysis of the financial characteristics of foreign and domestic banks in the UK," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 189-195, April.
- Banu Soylu, 2010. "Integrating Prometheeii With The Tchebycheff Function For Multi Criteria Decision Making," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(04), pages 525-545.
- Lean Yu & Shouyang Wang & Jie Cao, 2009. "A Modified Least Squares Support Vector Machine Classifier With Application To Credit Risk Analysis," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(04), pages 697-710.
- Barker, Theresa J. & Zabinsky, Zelda B., 2011. "A multicriteria decision making model for reverse logistics using analytical hierarchy process," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 558-573, October.
- Zanakis, Stelios H. & Solomon, Anthony & Wishart, Nicole & Dublish, Sandipa, 1998. "Multi-attribute decision making: A simulation comparison of select methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(3), pages 507-529, June.
- Cook, Wade D. & Liang, Liang & Zhu, Joe, 2010. "Measuring performance of two-stage network structures by DEA: A review and future perspective," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 423-430, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:6:p:677-689. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.