Testing independence in nonparametric regression
We propose a new test for independence of error and covariate in a nonparametric regression model. The test statistic is based on a kernel estimator for the L2-distance between the conditional distribution and the unconditional distribution of the covariates. In contrast to tests so far available in literature, the test can be applied in the important case of multivariate covariates. It can also be adjusted for models with heteroscedastic variance. Asymptotic normality of the test statistic is shown. Simulation results and a real data example are presented.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 100 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Einmahl, John H.J. & Van Keilegom, Ingrid, 2008.
"Specification tests in nonparametric regression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 88-102, March.
- John Xu Zheng, 1996. "A consistent test of functional form via nonparametric estimation techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-289, December.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & van Keilegom, I., 2006.
"Tests for Independence in Nonparametric Regression,"
2006-80, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & van Keilegom, I., 2008. "Tests for independence in nonparametric regression," Other publications TiSEM 4356c520-d1d5-4156-b5b7-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Consistent Nonparametric Entropy-Based Testing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 437-53, May.
- Müller Ursula U. & Schick Anton & Wefelmeyer Wolfgang, 2007. "Estimating the error distribution function in semiparametric regression," Statistics & Risk Modeling, De Gruyter, vol. 25(1/2007), pages 18, January.
- Ingrid Keilegom & Wenceslao González Manteiga & César Sánchez Sellero, 2008. "Goodness-of-fit tests in parametric regression based on the estimation of the error distribution," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 401-415, August.
- Hall, Peter, 1984. "Central limit theorem for integrated square error of multivariate nonparametric density estimators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-16, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:100:y:2009:i:7:p:1551-1566. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.