Ex dividend day stock price behavior: discreteness or tax-induced clienteles?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Boyd, John H & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1994. "Ex-dividend Price Behavior of Common Stocks," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(4), pages 711-741.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J, 1970. "Marginal Stockholder Tax Rates and the Clientele Effect," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(1), pages 68-74, February.
- Grinblatt, Mark S. & Masulis, Ronald W. & Titman, Sheridan, 1984. "The valuation effects of stock splits and stock dividends," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 461-490, December.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Lo, Andrew W. & MacKinlay, A. Craig, 1992.
"An ordered probit analysis of transaction stock prices,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 319-379, June.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Lo, Andrew W. & MacKinlay, Archie Craig, 1955-, 1990. "An ordered probit analysis of transaction stock prices," Working papers 3234-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1991. "An Ordered Probit Analysis of Transaction Stock Prices," NBER Working Papers 3888, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, J.A. & Lo, A.W. & MacKinlay, A.C., 1991. "An Ordered Probit Analysis of Transaction Stock Prices," Weiss Center Working Papers 26-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Eades, Kenneth M. & Hess, Patrick J. & Kim, E. Han, 1984. "On interpreting security returns during the ex-dividend period," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 3-34, March.
- Frank, Murray & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1998.
"Why do stock prices drop by less than the value of the dividend? Evidence from a country without taxes,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 161-188, February.
- Murray Frank & Ravi Jagannathan, 1997. "Why do stock prices drop by less than the value of the dividend? Evidence from a country without taxes," Staff Report 229, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Grammatikos, Theoharry, 1989. "Dividend Stripping, Risk Exposure, and the Effect of the 1984 Tax Reform Act on the Ex-dividend Day Behavior," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(2), pages 157-173, April.
- Angel, James J, 1997. " Tick Size, Share Prices, and Stock Splits," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 655-681, June.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M. & Walkling, Ralph A., 1988. "Short-term trading around ex-dividend days : Additional evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 291-298, September.
- Koski, Jennifer Lynch, 1996. "A Microstructure Analysis of Ex-dividend Stock Price Behavior before and after the 1984 and 1986 Tax Reform Acts," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(3), pages 313-338, July.
- David A. Dubofsky, 1992. "A Market Microstructure Explanation of Ex-Day Abnormal Returns," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 21(4), Winter.
- Miller, Merton H & Scholes, Myron S, 1982. "Dividends and Taxes: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1118-1141, December.
- Ball, Ray & Kothari, S. P. & Shanken, Jay, 1995. "Problems in measuring portfolio performance An application to contrarian investment strategies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 79-107, May.
- Barclay, Michael J., 1987. "Dividends, taxes, and common stock prices : The ex-dividend day behavior of common stock prices before the income tax," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 31-44, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dai, Qinglei & Rydqvist, Kristian, 2007. "Investigation of the Costly-Arbitrage Model of Price Formation Around the Ex-Dividend Day," CEPR Discussion Papers 6074, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gabriele La Spada & Fabrizio Lillo, 2011. "The effect of round-off error on long memory processes," Papers 1107.4476, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2013.
- Balachandran, Balasingham & Faff, Robert & Nguyen, Tuan Anh, 2008. "The ex-date impact of special dividend announcements: A note," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 635-643, June.
- David J. Beggs & Christopher L. Skeels, 2006.
"Market Arbitrage of Cash Dividends and Franking Credits,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(258), pages 239-252, September.
- D. Beggs & C.L. Skeels, 2005. "Market Arbitrage of Cash Dividends and Franking Credits," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 947, The University of Melbourne.
- Bruce D. Grundy & Patrick Verwijmeren, 2012. "Dividend-Protected Convertible Bonds and the Disappearance," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-060/2/DSF37, Tinbergen Institute.
- Clemens Sialm, 2006. "Investment Taxes and Equity Returns," NBER Working Papers 12146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Efthymiou, Vassilis A. & Leledakis, George N., 2013. "Intraday analysis of the limit order bias at the ex-dividend day of U.S. common stocks," MPRA Paper 49770, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rakesh Bali, 2003. "Variation in ex day dividend pricing: Myth or reality?," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 27(2), pages 190-210, June.
- William Hardin & Kartono Liano & Gow-Cheng Huang & Gregory Nagel, 2007. "REITs, Decimalization, and Ex-dividend Stock Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 499-511, May.
- Liljeblom, Eva & Loflund, Anders & Hedvall, Kaj, 2001. "Foreign and domestic investors and tax induced ex-dividend day trading," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1687-1716, September.
- Chen, Hung-Ling & Chow, Edward H. & Shiu, Cheng-Yi, 2013. "Ex-dividend prices and investor trades: Evidence from Taiwan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 39-65.
- VT Alaganar & Graham Partington & Max Stevenson, 1999. "Do Ex-Dividend Drop-Offs Differ Across Markets? Evidence from Internationally Traded (ADR) Stocks," Working Paper Series 92, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Dai, Qinglei & Rydqvist, Kristian, 2009. "Investigation of the costly-arbitrage model of price formation around the ex-dividend day in Norway," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 582-596, September.
- Sorjonen, Pasi, 2002. "Ex-Dividend Day Stock Price Behavior, Taxes and Discrete Prices; A Simulation Experiment," Discussion Papers 676, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Lee, Yi-Tsung & Liu, Yu-Jane & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2006. "Taxes and dividend clientele: Evidence from trading and ownership structure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 229-246, January.
- Hanlon, Michelle & Heitzman, Shane, 2010. "A review of tax research," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2-3), pages 127-178, December.
- William M. Getry & Deen Kemsley & Christopher J. Mayer, 2003.
"Dividend Taxes and Share Prices: Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(1), pages 261-282, February.
- William M. Gentry & Deen Kemsley & Christopher J. Mayer, 2001. "Dividend Taxes and Share Prices: Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trusts," NBER Working Papers 8486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Murphy, A. & Schlag, C., 1999. "An empirical examination of the effect of dividend taxation on asset pricing and returns in Germany," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 35-52.
- Maydew, Edward L., 2001. "Empirical tax research in accounting: A discussion," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 389-403, September.
- Sven-Olov Daunfeldt, 2007.
"Tax-Induced Trading and the Identity of the Marginal Investor: Evidence from Sweden,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 657-667.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov, 2005. "Tax-Induced Trading and the Identity of the Marginal Investor: Evidence from Sweden," HUI Working Papers 3, HUI Research.
- Graham, John R., 1999. "Do personal taxes affect corporate financing decisions?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 147-185, August.
- Rakesh Bali, 2003. "Seasonality in ex dividend day returns," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(14), pages 929-932.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfinec:v:47:y:1998:i:2:p:127-159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505576 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.