An integral equation representation for overlapping generations in continuous time
This paper develops a method for solving for the dynamic general equilibrium of a deterministic continuous time overlapping generations model with a finite-horizon life-cycle. The model has isoelastic preferences and allows for general assumptions about individual endowments and demographics. Solving for an equilibrium reduces to solving a nonlinear integral equation. In the special case of log utility, the integral equation is linear and global approximations to a solution are easily computed with linear algebra.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hippolyte d’Albis & Emmanuelle Augeraud-Véron, 2007.
"Balanced cycles in an OLG model with a continuum of finitely-lived individuals,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 30(1), pages 181-186, January.
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Emmanuelle Augeraud-Véron, 2007. "Balanced cycles in an OLG model with a continuum of finitely-lived individuals," Post-Print hal-00630229, HAL.
- José-Víctor Ríos-Rull, 1996. "Life-Cycle Economies and Aggregate Fluctuations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(3), pages 465-489.
- Tauchen, George & Hussey, Robert, 1991. "Quadrature-Based Methods for Obtaining Approximate Solutions to Nonlinear Asset Pricing Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 371-396, March.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711, January.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-1445, November.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985. "Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-247, April.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984. "Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons," NBER Working Papers 1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Demichelis & H. Polemarchakis, 2007. "The determinacy of equilibrium in economies of overlapping generations," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 32(3), pages 461-475, September.
- Burke, Jonathan L., 1996. "Equilibrium for Overlapping Generations in Continuous Time," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 364-390, August.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "Overlapping families of infinitely-lived agents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 183-198, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)