Consequences, opportunities, and generalized consequentialism and non-consequentialism
In a recent paper to appear in Journal of Economic Theory [Kotaro Suzumura and Yongsheng Xe, "Characterizations of Consequentialism and Non-consequentialism"], an analytical framework was developed, which allowed us to characterize the concept of consequentialism and non-consequentialism. To simplify matters, however, the treatment in that paper was confined only to the cases where no active interactions exist between consequential considerations and procedural considerations. The present paper represents a generalization of our previous framework, which can now accommodate the situations where consequential considerations and procedural considerations actively interact. The analysis covers both the cases of finite and infinite number of alternatives.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K & Suzumura, Kotaro, 1994. "Rights, Welfarism, and Social Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 435-39, May.
- Sen, A., 1996.
"Maximisation and the Act of Choice,"
270, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Amartya Sen, 1996. "Maximization and the Act of Choice," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1766, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu,, .
"On Diversity and Freedom of Choice,"
97/18, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Suzumura, Kotaro & Xu, Yongsheng, 2000.
"Characterizations of Consequentialism and Non-consequentialism,"
3, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Suzumura, Kotaro & Xu, Yongsheng, 2001. "Characterizations of Consequentialism and Nonconsequentialism," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 423-436, December.
- Kotaro Suzumura & Yongsheng Xu, 1999. "Characterizations of Consenquentialism and Non-consequentialism," Discussion Paper Series a365, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Bossert Walter & Pattanaik Prasanta K. & Xu Yongsheng, 1994. "Ranking Opportunity Sets: An Axiomatic Approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 326-345, August.
- Sen, Amartya, 1988. "Freedom of choice : Concept and content," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 269-294, March.
- Nicolas Gravel, 1998.
"Ranking opportunity sets on the basis of their freedom of choice and their ability to satisfy preferences: A difficulty,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 371-382.
- Gravel, Nicolas, 1994. "Ranking Opportunity Sets on the Basis of their Freedom of Choice and their Ability to Satisfy Preferences : A Difficulty," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1994008, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K. & Xu, Yongsheng, 2000. "On Ranking Opportunity Sets in Economic Environments," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 48-71, July.
- Gravel, Nicolas, 1994. "Can a Ranking of Opportunity Sets Attach an Intrinsic Importance to Freedom of Choice?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 454-58, May.
- Shmuel Nitzan & Eyal Baharad, 2000. "Extended preferences and freedom of choice," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 629-637.
- Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Kotaro Suzumura, 1992.
"Individual Rights and Social Evaluations: A Conceptual Framework,"
Discussion Paper Series
a250, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K & Suzumura, Kotaro, 1996. "Individual Rights and Social Evaluation: A Conceptual Framework," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 194-212, April.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1979. "Personal Utilities and Public Judgements: Or What's Wrong with Welfare Economics?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(355), pages 537-58, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:111:y:2003:i:2:p:293-304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.