Consequences, opportunities, and generalized consequentialism and non-consequentialism
In a recent paper to appear in Journal of Economic Theory [Kotaro Suzumura and Yongsheng Xe, "Characterizations of Consequentialism and Non-consequentialism"], an analytical framework was developed, which allowed us to characterize the concept of consequentialism and non-consequentialism. To simplify matters, however, the treatment in that paper was confined only to the cases where no active interactions exist between consequential considerations and procedural considerations. The present paper represents a generalization of our previous framework, which can now accommodate the situations where consequential considerations and procedural considerations actively interact. The analysis covers both the cases of finite and infinite number of alternatives.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K. & Xu, Yongsheng, 2000.
"On diversity and freedom of choice,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 123-130, September.
- Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Kotaro Suzumura, 1992.
"Individual Rights and Social Evaluations: A Conceptual Framework,"
Discussion Paper Series
a250, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K & Suzumura, Kotaro, 1996. "Individual Rights and Social Evaluation: A Conceptual Framework," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 194-212, April.
- Sen, Amartya, 1988. "Freedom of choice : Concept and content," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 269-294, March.
- Shmuel Nitzan & Eyal Baharad, 2000. "Extended preferences and freedom of choice," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 629-637.
- Amartya Sen, 1996.
"Maximization and the Act of Choice,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1766, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Kotaro Suzumura & Yongsheng Xu, 1999.
"Characterizations of Consenquentialism and Non-consequentialism,"
Discussion Paper Series
a365, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Suzumura, Kotaro & Xu, Yongsheng, 2001. "Characterizations of Consequentialism and Nonconsequentialism," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 423-436, December.
- Suzumura, Kotaro & Xu, Yongsheng, 2000. "Characterizations of Consequentialism and Non-consequentialism," Discussion Paper 3, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Nicolas Gravel, 1998.
"Ranking opportunity sets on the basis of their freedom of choice and their ability to satisfy preferences: A difficulty,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 371-382.
- Gravel, Nicolas, 1994. "Ranking Opportunity Sets on the Basis of their Freedom of Choice and their Ability to Satisfy Preferences : A Difficulty," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1994008, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Bossert Walter & Pattanaik Prasanta K. & Xu Yongsheng, 1994. "Ranking Opportunity Sets: An Axiomatic Approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 326-345, August.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1979. "Personal Utilities and Public Judgements: Or What's Wrong with Welfare Economics?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(355), pages 537-58, September.
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K. & Xu, Yongsheng, 2000. "On Ranking Opportunity Sets in Economic Environments," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 48-71, July.
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K & Suzumura, Kotaro, 1994. "Rights, Welfarism, and Social Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 435-39, May.
- Gravel, Nicolas, 1994. "Can a Ranking of Opportunity Sets Attach an Intrinsic Importance to Freedom of Choice?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 454-58, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:111:y:2003:i:2:p:293-304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.