Are opportunities recognized or constructed?: An information perspective on entrepreneurial opportunity identification
Using a case study of ten SMEs the authors apply a model of human information processing which provides a frame to help understand the entrepreneur's use of information to identify opportunities. Their model integrates an algorithmic or pattern type of information processing and a heuristic or trial and error type of information processing into a pragmatic frame of the entrepreneur's opportunity recognition-construction mechanism. This article shows how human information processing can moderate entrepreneurial opportunity identification.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert A. Baron & Michael D. Ensley, 2006. "Opportunity Recognition as the Detection of Meaningful Patterns: Evidence from Comparisons of Novice and Experienced Entrepreneurs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(9), pages 1331-1344, September.
- Acs, Zoltan & Audrestch, David & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2007.
"The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
77, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch & Erik Lehmann, 2013. "The knowledge spillover theory of entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 757-774, December.
- Zoltan Acs & Pontus Braunerhjelm & David Audretsch & Bo Carlsson, 2009. "The knowledge spillover theory of entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 15-30, January.
- Acs, Zoltán J & Audretsch, David B & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2005. "The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship," CEPR Discussion Papers 5326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zoltan J. Acs & David B. Audretsch & Pontus Braunerhjelm & Bo Carlsson, 2005. "The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-27, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Ward, Thomas B., 2004. "Cognition, creativity, and entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 173-188, March.
- Jeffery McMullen & Lawrence Plummer & Zoltan Acs, 2007.
"What is an Entrepreneurial Opportunity?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 273-283, April.
- Jeffery S. McMullen & Lawrence A. Plummer & Zoltan J. Acs, 2007. "What is an Entrepreneurial Opportunity?," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2007-10, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Kaish, Stanley & Gilad, Benjamin, 1991. "Characteristics of opportunities search of entrepreneurs versus executives: Sources, interests, general alertness," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 45-61, January.
- Audretsch, David B. & Lehmann, Erik E., 2005. "Does the Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship hold for regions?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1191-1202, October.
- Pierre-AndrÃ© Julien & Eric Andriambeloson & Charles Ramangalahy, 2004. "Networks, weak signals and technological innovations among SMEs in the land-based transportation equipment sector," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 251-269, July.
- Richard L. Daft & Robert H. Lengel, 1986. "Organizational Information Requirements, Media Richness and Structural Design," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 554-571, May.
- Bruyat, Chirstian & Julien, Pierre-Andre, 2001. "Defining the field of research in entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 165-180, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbvent:v:25:y:2010:i:1:p:73-86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.