On the Tail Mean-Variance optimal portfolio selection
In the present paper we propose the Tail Mean-Variance (TMV) approach, based on Tail Condition Expectation (TCE) (or Expected Short Fall) and the recently introduced Tail Variance (TV) as a measure for the optimal portfolio selection. We show that, when the underlying distribution is multivariate normal, the TMV model reduces to a more complicated functional than the quadratic and represents a combination of linear, square root of quadratic and quadratic functionals. We show, however, that under general linear constraints, the solution of the optimization problem still exists and in the case where short selling is possible we provide an analytical closed form solution, which looks more "robust" than the classical MV solution. The results are extended to more general multivariate elliptical distributions of risks.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. H. Bingham & Rudiger Kiesel, 2002. "Semi-parametric modelling in finance: theoretical foundations," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(4), pages 241-250.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Felipe Aparicio & Javier Estrada, 2001. "Empirical distributions of stock returns: European securities markets, 1990-95," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 1-21.
- Carlo Acerbi & Dirk Tasche, 2001.
"On the coherence of Expected Shortfall,"
cond-mat/0104295, arXiv.org, revised May 2002.
- Owen, Joel & Rabinovitch, Ramon, 1983. " On the Class of Elliptical Distributions and Their Applications to the Theory of Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 745-52, June.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Landsman, Zinoviy, 2004. "On the generalization of Esscher and variance premiums modified for the elliptical family of distributions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 563-579, December.
- Furman, Edward & Landsman, Zinoviy, 2005. "Risk capital decomposition for a multivariate dependent gamma portfolio," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 635-649, December.
- Merton, Robert C., 1972. "An Analytic Derivation of the Efficient Portfolio Frontier," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 1851-1872, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:46:y:2010:i:3:p:547-553. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.