TVaR-based capital allocation with copulas
Because of regulation projects from control organisations such as the European solvency II reform and recent economic events, insurance companies need to consolidate their capital reserve with coherent amounts allocated to the whole company and to each line of business. The present study considers an insurance portfolio consisting of several lines of risk which are linked by a copula and aims to evaluate not only the capital allocation for the overall portfolio but also the contribution of each risk over their aggregation. We use the tail value at risk (TVaR) as risk measure. The handy form of the FGM copula permits an exact expression for the TVaR of the sum of the risks and for the TVaR-based allocations when claim amounts are exponentially distributed and distributed as a mixture of exponentials. We first examine the bivariate model and then the multivariate case. We also show how to approximate the TVaR of the aggregate risk and the contribution of each risk when using any copula.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Furman, Edward & Landsman, Zinoviy, 2005. "Risk capital decomposition for a multivariate dependent gamma portfolio," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 635-649, December.
- Carlo Acerbi & Claudio Nordio & Carlo Sirtori, 2001. "Expected Shortfall as a Tool for Financial Risk Management," Papers cond-mat/0102304, arXiv.org.
- Bauerle, Nicole & Muller, Alfred, 2006. "Stochastic orders and risk measures: Consistency and bounds," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 132-148, February.
- Acerbi, Carlo & Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"On the coherence of expected shortfall,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1487-1503, July.
- Hayette Gatfaoui, 2003. "How Does Systematic Risk Impact US Credit Spreads? A Copula Study," Risk and Insurance 0308002, EconWPA.
- Dhaene, J. & Henrard, L. & Landsman, Z. & Vandendorpe, A. & Vanduffel, S., 2008. "Some results on the CTE-based capital allocation rule," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 855-863, April.
- Søren Asmussen, 2000. "Matrix-analytic Models and their Analysis," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 193-226.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Yeo, Keng Leong & Valdez, Emiliano A., 2006. "Claim dependence with common effects in credibility models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 609-629, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:45:y:2009:i:3:p:348-361. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.