A goal-driven approach to the 2D bin packing and variable-sized bin packing problems
In this paper, we examine the two-dimensional variable-sized bin packing problem (2DVSBPP), where the task is to pack all given rectangles into bins of various sizes such that the total area of the used bins is minimized. We partition the search space of the 2DVSBPP into sets and impose an order on the sets, and then use a goal-driven approach to take advantage of the special structure of this partitioned solution space. Since the 2DVSBPP is a generalization of the two-dimensional bin packing problem (2DBPP), our approach can be adapted to the 2DBPP with minimal changes. Computational experiments on the standard benchmark data for both the 2DVSBPP and 2DBPP shows that our approach is more effective than existing approaches in literature.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wascher, Gerhard & Hau[ss]ner, Heike & Schumann, Holger, 2007. "An improved typology of cutting and packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(3), pages 1109-1130, December.
- Wei, Lijun & Oon, Wee-Chong & Zhu, Wenbin & Lim, Andrew, 2011. "A skyline heuristic for the 2D rectangular packing and strip packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(2), pages 337-346, December.
- F. Parreño & R. Alvarez-Valdes & J. Oliveira & J. Tamarit, 2010. "A hybrid GRASP/VND algorithm for two- and three-dimensional bin packing," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 179(1), pages 203-220, September.
- Lodi, Andrea & Martello, Silvano & Monaci, Michele, 2002. "Two-dimensional packing problems: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 241-252, September.
- Wang, Pearl Y. & Valenzela, Christine L., 2001. "Data set generation for rectangular placement problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 378-391, October.
- Ortmann, Frank G. & Ntene, Nthabiseng & van Vuuren, Jan H., 2010. "New and improved level heuristics for the rectangular strip packing and variable-sized bin packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 203(2), pages 306-315, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:224:y:2013:i:1:p:110-121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.