Location of a semi-obnoxious facility with elliptic maximin and network minisum objectives
This paper considers the problem of locating a single semi-obnoxious facility on a general network, so as to minimize the total transportation cost between the new facility and the demand points (minisum), and at the same time to minimize the undesirable effects of the new facility by maximizing its distance from the closest population center (maximin). The two objectives employ different distance metrics to reflect reality. Since vehicles move on the transportation network, the shortest path distance is suitable for the minisum objective. For the maximin objective, however, the elliptic distance metric is used to reflect the impact of wind in the distribution of pollution. An efficient algorithm is developed to find the nondominated set of the bi-objective model and is implemented on a numerical example. A simulation experiment is provided to find the average computational complexity of the algorithm.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 223 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brimberg, Jack & Juel, Henrik, 1998. "A bicriteria model for locating a semi-desirable facility in the plane," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 144-151, April.
- Robert F. Love & James G. Morris, 1979. "Mathematical Models of Road Travel Distances," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(2), pages 130-139, February.
- Yapicioglu, Haluk & Smith, Alice E. & Dozier, Gerry, 2007. "Solving the semi-desirable facility location problem using bi-objective particle swarm," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 733-749, March.
- Plastria, Frank & Carrizosa, Emilio, 1999. "Undesirable facility location with minimal covering objectives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 158-180, November.
- Skriver, Anders J. V. & Andersen, Kim Allan, 2003. "The bicriterion semi-obnoxious location (BSL) problem solved by an [epsilon]-approximation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 517-528, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:223:y:2012:i:2:p:452-460. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.