A real-time decision rule for an inventory system with committed service time and emergency orders
In this paper, we study the inventory system of an online retailer with compound Poisson demand. The retailer normally replenishes its inventory according to a continuous review (nQ,Â R) policy with a constant lead time. Usually demands that cannot be satisfied immediately are backordered. We also assume that the customers will accept a reasonable waiting time after they have placed their orders because of the purchasing convenience of the online system. This means that a sufficiently short waiting time incurs no shortage costs. We call this allowed waiting time "committed service time". After this committed service time, if the retailer is still in shortage, the customer demand must either be satisfied with an emergency supply that takes no time (which is financially equivalent to a lost sale) or continue to be backordered with a time-dependent backorder cost. The committed service time gives an online retailer a buffer period to handle excess demands. Based on real-time information concerning the outstanding orders of an online retailer and the waiting times of its customers, we provide a decision rule for emergency orders that minimizes the expected costs under the assumption that no further emergency orders will occur. This decision rule is then used repeatedly as a heuristic. Numerical examples are presented to illustrate the model, together with a discussion of the conditions under which the real-time decision rule provides considerable cost savings compared to traditional systems.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen C. Graves & Sean P. Willems, 2000. "Optimizing Strategic Safety Stock Placement in Supply Chains," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 68-83, June.
- Kalpakam, S. & Sapna, K. P., 1995. "A two reorder level inventory system with renewal demands," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 402-415, July.
- Yoichiro Fukuda, 1964. "Optimal Policies for the Inventory Problem with Negotiable Leadtime," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 690-708, July.
- Yang, Gino K., 2007. "Note on sensitivity analysis of inventory model with partial backorders," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 865-871, March.
- Kamran Moinzadeh & Steven Nahmias, 1988. "A Continuous Review Model for an Inventory System with Two Supply Modes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(6), pages 761-773, June.
- Chiang, Chi & Gutierrez, Genaro J., 1996. "A periodic review inventory system with two supply modes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 527-547, November.
- Ray, Saibal & Jewkes, E. M., 2004. "Customer lead time management when both demand and price are lead time sensitive," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(3), pages 769-781, March.
- Tong Wang & Beril L. Toktay, 2008. "Inventory Management with Advance Demand Information and Flexible Delivery," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(4), pages 716-732, April.
- Kamran Moinzadeh, 1989. "Operating Characteristics of the (S - 1, S) Inventory System with Partial Backorders and Constant Resupply Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(4), pages 472-477, April.
- San José, L.A. & Sicilia, J. & Garcia-Laguna, J., 2006. "Analysis of an inventory system with exponential partial backordering," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 76-86, March.
- Johansen, Soren Glud & Thorstenson, Anders, 1998. "An inventory model with Poisson demands and emergency orders," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 275-289, September.
- Rema Hariharan & Paul Zipkin, 1995. "Customer-Order Information, Leadtimes, and Inventories," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(10), pages 1599-1607, October.
- P. L. Abad, 1996. "Optimal Pricing and Lot-Sizing Under Conditions of Perishability and Partial Backordering," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(8), pages 1093-1104, August.
- Chu, Peter & Chung, Kun-Jen, 2004. "The sensitivity of the inventory model with partial backorders," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 289-295, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:215:y:2011:i:1:p:70-79. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.