A fuzzy approach for selecting project membership to achieve cognitive style goals
Decision makers select employees for a project to match a particular set of goals pertaining to the multiple criteria mix of skills and competencies needed. Cognitive style influences how a person gathers and evaluates information and consequently, provides skills and competencies toward problem solving. The proposed fuzzy set-based model facilitates the manager's selection of employees who meet the project goal(s) for the preferred cognitive style. The paper presents background information on cognitive styles and fuzzy logic with an algorithm developed based on belief in the fuzzy probability of a cognitive style fitting a defined goal. An application is presented with analysis and conclusions stated.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. E. Bellman & L. A. Zadeh, 1970. "Decision-Making in a Fuzzy Environment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(4), pages 141-164, December.
- Michael T. Pich & Christoph H. Loch & Arnoud De Meyer, 2002. "On Uncertainty, Ambiguity, and Complexity in Project Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(8), pages 1008-1023, August.
- Shipley, Margaret F. & de Korvin, Andre & Omer, Khursheed, 2001. "A fuzzy logic-based decision model to satisfy goals for successful product/service introduction," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 209-219, November.
- Tavares, L. V., 2002. "A review of the contribution of Operational Research to Project Management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Chenhall, Robert & Morris, Deigan, 1991. "The effect of cognitive style and sponsorship bias on the treatment of opportunity costs in resource allocation decisions," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 27-46.
- Tsai, Hsien-Tang & Moskowitz, Herbert & Lee, Lai-Hsi, 2003. "Human resource selection for software development projects using Taguchi's parameter design," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(1), pages 167-180, November.
- John C. Henderson & Paul C. Nutt, 1980. "The Influence of Decision Style on Decision Making Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(4), pages 371-386, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:3:p:918-928. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.