Scheduling preventive maintenance for modular designed components: A dynamic approach
One of the benefits of modular design is ease-of-service. While modular design helps simplify field maintenance, extensive depot maintenance and spare modules are required to support the field maintenance. This study develops a dynamic approach for scheduling preventive maintenance at a depot with the limited availability of spare modules and other constraints. A backward allocation algorithm is proposed and applied to scheduling the preventive maintenance of an engine module installed in T-59 advanced jet trainers in the Republic of Korea Air Force. The algorithm developed by this study can be used to solve similar problems for various systems such as aerospace vehicles, heavy machinery, and medical equipment. The contribution of this study includes the uniqueness of the algorithm, the flexibility to deal with variables changing over time, and the ability to incorporate additional variables to handle complex situations.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karmarkar, Uday S. & Kubat, Peter, 1987. "Modular product design and product support," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 74-82, April.
- Grigoriev, Alexander & van de Klundert, Joris & Spieksma, Frits C.R., 2006.
"Modeling and solving the periodic maintenance problem,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 172(3), pages 783-797, August.
- Grigoriev Alexander & Klundert Joris van de & Spieksma Frits C.R., 2004. "Modeling and Solving the Periodic Maintenance Problem," Research Memorandum 027, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Chareonsuk, Chaichan & Nagarur, Nagen & Tabucanon, Mario T., 1997. "A multicriteria approach to the selection of preventive maintenance intervals," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 55-64, March.
- John A. Muckstadt, 1973. "A Model for a Multi-Item, Multi-Echelon, Multi-Indenture Inventory System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(4-Part-I), pages 472-481, December.
- Ulusoy, Gunduz & Or, Ilhan & Soydan, Nezih, 1992. "Design and implementation of a maintenance planning and control system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 263-272, March.
- Francis de Véricourt & Fikri Karaesmen & Yves Dallery, 2002. "Optimal Stock Allocation for a Capacitated Supply System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(11), pages 1486-1501, November.
- Percy, David F. & Kobbacy, Khairy A. H., 2000. "Determining economical maintenance intervals," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 87-94, August.
- Kralj, Branimir & Petrovic, Radivoj, 1995. "A multiobjective optimization approach to thermal generating units maintenance scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 481-493, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:2:p:512-520. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.