On the complexity of optimization over the standard simplex
We review complexity results for minimizing polynomials over the standard simplex and unit hypercube. In addition, we derive new results on the computational complexity of approximating the minimum of some classes of functions (including Lipschitz continuous functions) on the standard simplex. The main tools used in the analysis are Bernstein approximation and Lagrange interpolation on the simplex combined with an earlier result by de Klerk et al. [A PTAS for the minimization of polynomials of fixed degree over the simplex, Theoretical Computer Science 361 (2-3) (2006) 210-225].
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Klerk, E. & Laurent, M. & Parrilo, P., 2006. "A PTAS for the minimization of polynomials of fixed degree over the simplex," Other publications TiSEM 603897c9-179e-43e4-9e83-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- A.M. Bagirov & A.M. Rubinov, 2000. "Global Minimization of Increasing Positively Homogeneous Functions over the Unit Simplex," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 171-187, December.
- de Klerk, E. & Elfadul, G.E.E. & den Hertog, D., 2006. "Optimization of Univariate Functions on Bounded Intervals by Interpolation and Semidefinite Programming," Discussion Paper 2006-26, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Carlo Acerbi & Dirk Tasche, 2002. "Expected Shortfall: A Natural Coherent Alternative to Value at Risk," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 31(2), pages 379-388, 07.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lauprete, Geoffrey J. & Samarov, Alexander, 2004. "Shortfall as a risk measure: properties, optimization and applications," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1353-1381, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:191:y:2008:i:3:p:773-785. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.