Diversified local search strategy under scatter search framework for the probabilistic traveling salesman problem
This paper focuses on introducing a concept of diversified local search strategy under the scatter search framework for the probabilistic traveling salesman problem (PTSP). Different combinations of three commonly used local search methods in the PTSP, i.e., 1-shift, 2-opt, and 3-opt, were used to investigate its effects. A set of numerical experiments were conducted to test the validity of the proposed strategy based on randomly generated test instances. The numerical results and the permutation test showed that the diversified local search strategy, especially by combining 1-shift and 2-opt algorithms, can most effectively solve the homogeneous and heterogeneous PTSP in most of the tested instances in comparison with the single local search strategy under scatter search framework.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bianchi, Leonora & Knowles, Joshua & Bowler, Neill, 2005. "Local search for the probabilistic traveling salesman problem: Correction to the 2-p-opt and 1-shift algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 206-219, April.
- Bianchi, Leonora & Campbell, Ann Melissa, 2007. "Extension of the 2-p-opt and 1-shift algorithms to the heterogeneous probabilistic traveling salesman problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 131-144, January.
- Gendron, Bernard & Potvin, Jean-Yves & Soriano, Patrick, 2002. "Diversification strategies in local search for a nonbifurcated network loading problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 231-241, October.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Howell, Louis H., 1993. "Further results on the probabilistic traveling salesman problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 68-95, February.
- Hansen, Pierre & Mladenovic, Nenad, 2001. "Variable neighborhood search: Principles and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 449-467, May.
- John J. Bartholdi, III & Loren K. Platzman, 1988. "Heuristics Based on Spacefilling Curves for Combinatorial Problems in Euclidean Space," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(3), pages 291-305, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:191:y:2008:i:2:p:332-346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.