Diversified local search strategy under scatter search framework for the probabilistic traveling salesman problem
This paper focuses on introducing a concept of diversified local search strategy under the scatter search framework for the probabilistic traveling salesman problem (PTSP). Different combinations of three commonly used local search methods in the PTSP, i.e., 1-shift, 2-opt, and 3-opt, were used to investigate its effects. A set of numerical experiments were conducted to test the validity of the proposed strategy based on randomly generated test instances. The numerical results and the permutation test showed that the diversified local search strategy, especially by combining 1-shift and 2-opt algorithms, can most effectively solve the homogeneous and heterogeneous PTSP in most of the tested instances in comparison with the single local search strategy under scatter search framework.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gendron, Bernard & Potvin, Jean-Yves & Soriano, Patrick, 2002. "Diversification strategies in local search for a nonbifurcated network loading problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 231-241, October.
- Bianchi, Leonora & Campbell, Ann Melissa, 2007. "Extension of the 2-p-opt and 1-shift algorithms to the heterogeneous probabilistic traveling salesman problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 131-144, January.
- Hansen, Pierre & Mladenovic, Nenad, 2001. "Variable neighborhood search: Principles and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 449-467, May.
- Bianchi, Leonora & Knowles, Joshua & Bowler, Neill, 2005. "Local search for the probabilistic traveling salesman problem: Correction to the 2-p-opt and 1-shift algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 206-219, April.
- John J. Bartholdi, III & Loren K. Platzman, 1988. "Heuristics Based on Spacefilling Curves for Combinatorial Problems in Euclidean Space," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(3), pages 291-305, March.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Howell, Louis H., 1993. "Further results on the probabilistic traveling salesman problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 68-95, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:191:y:2008:i:2:p:332-346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.