A simple framework for nonparametric specification testing
This paper presents a simple framework for testing the specification of parametric conditional means. The test statistics are based on quadratic forms in the residuals of the null model. Under general assumptions the test statistics are asymptotically normal under the null. With an appropriate choice of the weight matrix, the tests are shown to be consistent and to have good local power. Specific implementations involving matrices of bin and kernel weights are discussed. Finite sample properties are explored in simulations and an application to some parametric models of gasoline demand is presented.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:etheor:v:9:y:1993:i:3:p:451-77 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bierens, Herman J., 1982. "Consistent model specification tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 105-134, October.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Bierens, H.J. & Ploberger, W., 1995.
"Asymptotic theory of integrated conditional moment tests,"
1995-124, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herman J. Bierens & Werner Ploberger, 1997. "Asymptotic Theory of Integrated Conditional Moment Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1129-1152, September.
- Miguel A. Delgado & Thanasis Stengos, 1994. "Semiparametric Specification Testing of Non-nested Econometric Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 291-303.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:8:y:1992:i:4:p:452-75 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gozalo, Pedro L., 1993. "A Consistent Model Specification Test for Nonparametric Estimation of Regression Function Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 451-477, June.
- Judith A. Chevalier & Glenn D. Ellison, 1995.
"Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives,"
NBER Working Papers
5234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chevalier, Judith & Ellison, Glenn, 1997. "Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(6), pages 1167-1200, December.
- Chevalier, J. & Ellison, G., 1996. "Risk Taking by Mutual Funds as a Response to Incentives," Working papers 96-3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Horowitz, J.L. & Hardle, W., 1992.
"Testing a Parametric Model Against a Semiparametric Alternative,"
92-06, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Härdle, Wolfgang, 1994. "Testing a Parametric Model Against a Semiparametric Alternative," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(05), pages 821-848, December.
- Horowitz, J. & Härdle, W.K., 1992. "Testing a Parametric Model Against a Semiparametric Alternative," Discussion Paper 1992-19, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1984. "Model specification testing of time series regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 323-353, December.
- Tauchen, George, 1985. "Diagnostic testing and evaluation of maximum likelihood models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 415-443.
- Bierens, H.J., 1989.
"A consistent conditional moment test of functional form,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0064, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Bierens, Herman J, 1990. "A Consistent Conditional Moment Test of Functional Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1443-1458, November.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1992. "A Test for Functional Form Against Nonparametric Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 452-475, December.
- John Xu Zheng, 1996. "A consistent test of functional form via nonparametric estimation techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-289, December.
- Hong, Yongmiao & White, Halbert, 1995. "Consistent Specification Testing via Nonparametric Series Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1133-1159, September.
- Yatchew, Adonis John, 1992. "Nonparametric Regression Tests Based on Least Squares," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 435-451, December.
- Mikosch, T., 1991. "Functional limit theorems for random quadratic forms," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 81-98, February.
- Ellison, G. & Ellison, F., 1993.
"A Simple Framework for Non-Parametric Specification Testing,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1662, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ellison, Glenn & Ellison, Sara Fisher, 2000. "A simple framework for nonparametric specification testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 1-23, May.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 1998. "A Simple Framework for Nonparametric Specification Testing," NBER Technical Working Papers 0234, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, J.A. & Newey, W.K., 1992.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Exact Consumers Surplus and Deadweight Loss,"
93-2, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Newey, Whitney K, 1995. "Nonparametric Estimation of Exact Consumers Surplus and Deadweight Loss," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(6), pages 1445-1476, November.
- Thomas M. Stoker & Diego Rodríguez, 1993. "A regression test of semiparametric index model specification," Economics Working Papers 48, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Alan Duncan & Andrew Jones, 1994. "On the specification of labour supply models: a non-parametric evaluation," IFS Working Papers W94/03, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1980.
"Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses,"
378, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1981. "Several Tests for Model Specification in the Presence of Alternative Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 781-793, May.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1985. "Maximum Likelihood Specification Testing and Conditional Moment Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1047-1070, September.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi, 1996. "Consistent Model Specification Tests: Omitted Variables and Semiparametric Functional Forms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 865-890, July.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:96:y:2000:i:1:p:1-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.