Local polynomial estimation of nonparametric simultaneous equations models
We define a new procedure for consistent estimation of nonparametric simultaneous equations models under the conditional mean independence restriction of Newey et al. [1999. Nonparametric estimation of triangular simultaneous equation models. Econometrica 67, 565-603]. It is based upon local polynomial regression and marginal integration techniques. We establish the asymptotic distribution of our estimator under weak data dependence conditions. Simulation evidence suggests that our estimator may significantly outperform the estimators of Pinkse [2000. Nonparametric two-step regression estimation when regressors and errors are dependent. Canadian Journal of Statistics 28, 289-300] and Newey and Powell [2003. Instrumental variable estimation of nonparametric models. Econometrica 71, 1565-1578].
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Su, Liangjun & Ullah, Aman, 2006. "More Efficient Estimation In Nonparametric Regression With Nonparametric Autocorrelated Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 98-126, February.
- Hardle, Wolfgang & Linton, Oliver B. & Sperlich, Stefan, 1998.
"Integration and Backfitting methods in additive models: finite sample properties and comparison,"
DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS
6270, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Stefan Sperlich & Oliver Linton & Wolfgang Härdle, 1999. "Integration and backfitting methods in additive models-finite sample properties and comparison," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 8(2), pages 419-458, December.
- Masry, Elias, 1996. "Multivariate regression estimation local polynomial fitting for time series," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 81-101, December.
- Xiao Z. & Linton O.B. & Carroll R.J. & Mammen E., 2003. "More Efficient Local Polynomial Estimation in Nonparametric Regression With Autocorrelated Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 980-992, January.
- Zongwu Cai, 2002. "A two-stage approach to additive time series models," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 56(4), pages 415-433.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell & Francis Vella, 1999.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 565-604, May.
- Whitney Newey & James Powell & Francis Vella, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models," Working papers 98-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell & Francis Vella, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of Triangular Simultaneous Equations Models," Working papers 98-6, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Li, Qi & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2002. "Semiparametric Estimation Of Partially Linear Models For Dependent Data With Generated Regressors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 625-645, June.
- Oliver Linton, 2000.
"Efficient estimation of generalized additive nonparametric regression models,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
314, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Linton, Oliver B., 2000. "Efficient Estimation Of Generalized Additive Nonparametric Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 502-523, August.
- S. Darolles & Y. Fan & J. P. Florens & E. Renault, 2011.
"Nonparametric Instrumental Regression,"
Econometric Society, vol. 79(5), pages 1541-1565, 09.
- Serge Darolles & Jean-Pierre Florens & Eric Renault, 2000. "Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Working Papers 2000-17, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- DAROLLES, Serge & FLORENS, Jean-Pierre & RENAULT, Éric, 2002. "Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Cahiers de recherche 2002-05, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Serge Darolles & Jean-Pierre Florens & Yanqin Fan & Eric Renault, 2011. "Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Post-Print halshs-00677716, HAL.
- Darolles, Serge & Fan, Yanqin & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Renault, Eric, 2003. "Non Parametric Instrumental Regression," IDEI Working Papers 228, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2010.
- Jens Perch Nielsen & Stefan Sperlich, 2005. "Smooth backfitting in practice," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 67(1), pages 43-61.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 2001. "Nonparametric Estimation of a Generalized Additive Model with an Unknown Link Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 499-513, March.
- Opsomer, Jean D. & Ruppert, D., 1998. "A Fully Automated Bandwidth Selection Method for Fitting Additive Models," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1176, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Farrell, Lisa & Morgenroth, Edgar & Walker, Ian, 1999. " A Time Series Analysis of U.K. Lottery Sales: Long and Short Run Price Elasticities," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(4), pages 513-26, November.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Donald J. Brown & Rosa L. Matzkin, 1998. "Estimation of Nonparametric Functions in Simultaneous Equations Models, with an Application to Consumer Demand," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1175, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Roehrig, Charles S, 1988. "Conditions for Identification in Nonparametric and Parametic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 433-47, March.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Mattias Lundberg & Lyn Squire, 2003. "The simultaneous evolution of growth and inequality," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(487), pages 326-344, 04.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586115, Junio.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:144:y:2008:i:1:p:193-218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.