Monetary policy and monetary asset substitution
This paper shows that changing the target Federal Funds rate induces changes in relative user costs of monetary assets. Estimated Morishima elasticities of substitution from the Fourier Flexible form reveal greater substitution from transactions assets and savings deposits into small time deposits than into retail money market mutual funds.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John B. Carlson & Dennis L. Hoffman & Benjamin D. Keen & Robert H. Rasche, 1999.
"Results of a study of the stability of cointegrating relations comprised of broad monetary aggregates,"
9917, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Carlson, John B. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Keen, Benjamin D. & Rasche, Robert H., 2000. "Results of a study of the stability of cointegrating relations comprised of broad monetary aggregates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 345-383, October.
- William A. Barnett, 2003.
"Aggregation-Theoretic Monetary Aggregation over the Euro Area, when Countries are Heterogeneous,"
- Barnett, William A., 2003. "Aggregation-theoretic monetary aggregation over the euro area, when countries are heterogeneous," Working Paper Series 0260, European Central Bank.
- Barnett, William A., 1978. "The user cost of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 145-149.
- Paul Fisher & Suzanne Hudson & Mahmood Pradhan, 1993. "Divisia Indices for Money: An Appraisal of Theory and Practice," Bank of England working papers 9, Bank of England.
- Duca, John V. & VanHoose, David D., 2004. "Recent developments in understanding the demand for money," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 247-272.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Savin, N Eugene, 1975. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing in Singular Equation Systems with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 937-57, Sept.-Nov.
- Douglas Fisher & Adrian R. Fleissig & Apostolos Serletis, 2001. "An empirical comparison of flexible demand system functional forms," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 59-80.
- Livio Stracca, 2004. "Does Liquidity Matter? Properties of a Divisia Monetary Aggregate in the Euro Area," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(3), pages 309-331, 07.
- Blackorby, Charles & Russell, R Robert, 1989. "Will the Real Elasticity of Substitution Please Stand Up? (A Comparison of the Allen/Uzawa and Morishima Elasticities)," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 882-88, September.
- Jones, Barry E. & Dutkowsky, Donald H. & Elger, Thomas, 2005. "Sweep programs and optimal monetary aggregation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 483-508, February.
- Davis, George C & Gauger, Jean, 1996. "Measuring Substitution in Monetary-Asset Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 203-08, April.
- Fisher, Douglas & Fleissig, Adrian R, 1997. "Monetary Aggregation and the Demand for Assets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 458-75, November.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:99:y:2008:i:1:p:18-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.