Bertrand competition with cost uncertainty
We analyze the classical model of Bertrand competition in a homogeneous good market with constant marginal costs and uncertainty regarding rivals' costs. First, we show that there exists a mixed strategy Nash equilibrium under the conventional equal sharing rule. Second, we illustrate the result for the case of piecewise-affine market demand.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Einy, Ezra & Haimanko, Ori & Moreno, Diego & Shitovitz, Benyamin, 2008.
"On the Existence of Bayesian Cournot Equilibrium,"
2008-11, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ezra Einy & Ori Haimanko & Diego Moreno & Benyamin Shitovitz, 2007. "On the Existence of Bayesian Cournot Equilibrium," Working Papers 0715, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Moreno, Diego & Shitovitz, Benyamin & Haimanko, Ori & Einy, Ezra, 2007. "On the existence of Bayesian Cournot equilibrium," UC3M Working papers. Economics we070603, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Ezra Einy & Ori Haimanko & Diego Moreno & Benyamin Shitovitz, 2007. "On the Existence of Bayesian Cournot Equilibrium," Working Papers 0702, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Hoernig, Steffen H., 2002. "Mixed Bertrand equilibria under decreasing returns to scale: an embarrassment of riches," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 359-362, February.
- Robert G. Hansen, 1988. "Auctions with Endogenous Quantity," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(1), pages 44-58, Spring.
- Partha Dasgupta & Eric Maskin, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, I: Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 1-26.
- Blume, Andreas, 2003. "Bertrand without fudge," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 167-168, February.
- Spulber, Daniel F, 1995. "Bertrand Competition When Rivals' Costs Are Unknown," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-11, March.
- Partha Dasgupta & Eric Maskin, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, II: Applications," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 27-41.
- Todd R. Kaplan & David Wettstein, 2000. "The possibility of mixed-strategy equilibria with constant-returns-to-scale technology under Bertrand competition," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 65-71.
- Dastidar, Krishnendu Ghosh, 1995. "On the Existence of Pure Strategy Bertrand Equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 5(1), pages 19-32, January.
- Philip J. Reny, 1999. "On the Existence of Pure and Mixed Strategy Nash Equilibria in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1029-1056, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:107:y:2010:i:3:p:356-359. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.