On infinite-horizon minimum-cost hedging under cone constraints
We prove there exists and analyze a strategy that minimizes the cost of hedging a liability stream in infinite-horizon incomplete security markets with a type of constraints that feasible portfolio strategies form a convex cone. We provide a theorem that extends Stiemke Lemma to over cone domains and we use the result to construct a series of primal-dual problems. Applying stochastic duality theory, dynamic programming technique and the theory of convex analysis to the dual formulation, we decompose the infinite-horizon dynamic hedging problem into one-period static hedging problems such that optimal portfolios in different events can be solved for independently.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dumas, Bernard & Luciano, Elisa, 1991. " An Exact Solution to a Dynamic Portfolio Choice Problem under Transactions Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 577-95, June.
- Aliprantis, C. D. & Brown, D. J. & Werner, J., 2000.
"Minimum-cost portfolio insurance,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1703-1719, October.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1992.
"Measuring Asset Values for Cash Settlement in Derivative Markets: Hedonic Repeated Measures Indices and Perpetual Futures,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1036, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1993. " Measuring Asset Values for Cash Settlement in Derivative Markets: Hedonic Repeated Measures Indices and Perpetual Futures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 911-31, July.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1993. "Measuring Asset Values for Cash Settlement in Derivative Markets: Hedonic Repeated Measures indices and Perpetual Futures," NBER Technical Working Papers 0131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Naik, Vasanttilak & Uppal, Raman, 1994. "Leverage Constraints and the Optimal Hedging of Stock and Bond Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(02), pages 199-222, June.
- Marsh, Paul, 1982. " The Choice between Equity and Debt: An Empirical Study," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 121-44, March.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1993.
"Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles,"
9304, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Luttmer, Erzo G J, 1996. "Asset Pricing in Economies with Frictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1439-67, November.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9513 is not listed on IDEAS
- Broadie, Mark & Cvitanic, Jaksa & Soner, H Mete, 1998. "Optimal Replication of Contingent Claims under Portfolio Constraints," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 59-79.
- Kevin X.D. Huang & Jan Werner, 2000. "Asset price bubbles in Arrow-Debreu and sequential equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 253-278.
- Jouini Elyes & Kallal Hedi, 1995. "Martingales and Arbitrage in Securities Markets with Transaction Costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 178-197, June.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Bernard Bensaid & Jean-Philippe Lesne & Henri Pagès & José Scheinkman, 1992. "Derivative Asset Pricing With Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 63-86.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Edirisinghe, Chanaka & Naik, Vasanttilak & Uppal, Raman, 1993. "Optimal Replication of Options with Transactions Costs and Trading Restrictions," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 117-138, March.
- Constantinides, George M, 1986. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Transaction Costs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 842-62, August.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5630 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kevin Huang, .
"Valuation and asset pricing in infinite-horizon sequential markets with portfolio constraints,"
2000-09, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Huang, K.X., 1999. "Valuation and Asset Pricing in Infinite Horizon Sequential Markets with Portfolio Constraints," Papers 302, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Taggart, Robert A, Jr, 1977. "A Model of Corporate Financing Decisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(5), pages 1467-84, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:27:y:2002:i:2:p:283-301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.