On the Marshall–Olkin transformation as a skewing mechanism
The use of the Marshall–Olkin transformation as a skewing mechanism is investigated. The distributions obtained when this transformation is applied to several classes of symmetric and unimodal distributions are analysed. It is shown that most of the resulting distributions are not flexible enough to model data presenting high or moderate skewness. The only case encountered where the Marshall–Olkin transformation can be considered a useful skewing mechanism is when applied to Student-t distributions with Cauchy or even heavier tails.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard A. Groeneveld & Glen Meeden, 2009. "An improved skewness measure," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 325-337.
- M. Jones, 2004. "Families of distributions arising from distributions of order statistics," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 1-43, June.
- Jose T.A.S. Ferreira & Mark F.J. Steel, 2004.
"A Constructive Representation of Univariate Skewed Distributions,"
- Ferreira, Jose T.A.S. & Steel, Mark F.J., 2006. "A Constructive Representation of Univariate Skewed Distributions," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 823-829, June.
- M. C. Jones & Arthur Pewsey, 2009. "Sinh-arcsinh distributions," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(4), pages 761-780.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:7:p:2251-2257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.