On the Marshall–Olkin transformation as a skewing mechanism
The use of the Marshall–Olkin transformation as a skewing mechanism is investigated. The distributions obtained when this transformation is applied to several classes of symmetric and unimodal distributions are analysed. It is shown that most of the resulting distributions are not flexible enough to model data presenting high or moderate skewness. The only case encountered where the Marshall–Olkin transformation can be considered a useful skewing mechanism is when applied to Student-t distributions with Cauchy or even heavier tails.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose T.A.S. Ferreira & Mark F.J. Steel, 2004.
"A Constructive Representation of Univariate Skewed Distributions,"
- Ferreira, Jose T.A.S. & Steel, Mark F.J., 2006. "A Constructive Representation of Univariate Skewed Distributions," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 823-829, June.
- Richard A. Groeneveld & Glen Meeden, 2009. "An improved skewness measure," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 325-337.
- M. C. Jones & Arthur Pewsey, 2009. "Sinh-arcsinh distributions," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(4), pages 761-780.
- M. Jones, 2004. "Families of distributions arising from distributions of order statistics," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 13(1), pages 1-43, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:7:p:2251-2257. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.