The L-distribution and skew generalizations
Leptokurtic or platykurtic distributions can, for example, be generated by applying certain non-linear transformations to a Gaussian random variable. Within this work we focus on the class of so-called power transformations which are determined by their generator function. Examples are the H-transformation of Tukey (1960), the J-transformation of Fischer and Klein (2004) and the L-transformation which is derived from Johnson's inverse hyperbolic sine transformation. It is shown that generator functions themselves which meet certain requirements can be used to construct both probability densities and cumulative distribution functions. For the J-transformation, we recover the logistic distribution. Using the L-transformation, a new class of densities is derived, discussed and generalized.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.statistik.wiso.uni-erlangen.de/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferreira, Jose T.A.S. & Steel, Mark F.J., 2006.
"A Constructive Representation of Univariate Skewed Distributions,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 823-829, June.
- Jose T.A.S. Ferreira & Mark F.J. Steel, 2004. "A Constructive Representation of Univariate Skewed Distributions," Econometrics 0403002, EconWPA.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1994.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 705-30, August.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation," RCER Working Papers 322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's GARCH models with time-varying t-densities," Statistical Software Components RTZ00086, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Rayner, G. D. & MacGillivray, H. L., 2002. "Weighted quantile-based estimation for a class of transformation distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 401-433, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:faucse:632004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.