New approaches to nonparametric density estimation and selection of smoothing parameters
The application of Singular Spectrum Analysis (SSA) to the empirical distribution function sampled at a grid of points spanning the range of the sample leads to a novel and promising method for the computer-intensive nonparametric estimation of both the distribution function and the density function. SSA yields a data-adaptive filter, whose length is a parameter that controls the smoothness of the filtered series. A data-adaptive algorithm for the automatic selection of a general smoothing parameter is introduced, which controls the number of modes of the estimated density. Extensive computer simulations demonstrate that the new automatic bandwidth selector improves on other popular methods for various densities of interest. A general uniform error bound is proved for the proposed SSA estimate of the distribution function, which ensures its uniform consistency. The simulation results indicate that the SSA density estimate with the automatic choice of the filter length outperforms the kernel density estimate in terms of the mean integrated squared error and the Kolmogorov–Smirnov distance for various density shapes. Two applications to problems arising in photovoltaic quality control and economic market research are studied to illustrate the benefits of SSA estimation.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, Ngai-Hang & Lee, Thomas C.M. & Peng, Liang, 2010. "On nonparametric local inference for density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 509-515, February.
- Ansgar Steland & Henryk Zähle, 2009. "Sampling inspection by variables: nonparametric setting," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 63(1), pages 101-123.
- Cheng, Cheng, 1995. "The Bernstein polynomial estimator of a smooth quantile function," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 321-330, September.
- BOUEZMARNI, Taoufik & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen V. K., 2006.
"Nonparametric density estimation for positive time series,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006085, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bouezmarni, Taoufik & Rombouts, Jeroen V.K., 2010. "Nonparametric density estimation for positive time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 245-261, February.
- Taoufik Bouezmarni & Jeroen V.K. Rombouts, 2006. "Nonparametric Density Estimation for Positive Time Series," Cahiers de recherche 06-09, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Savchuk, Olga Y. & Hart, Jeffrey D. & Sheather, Simon J., 2010. "Indirect Cross-Validation for Density Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(489), pages 415-423.
- Lambert, Philippe & Eilers, Paul H.C., 2009. "Bayesian density estimation from grouped continuous data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1388-1399, February.
- Hirukawa, Masayuki, 2010. "Nonparametric multiplicative bias correction for kernel-type density estimation on the unit interval," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 473-495, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:7:p:2206-2218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.