Degeneracy of the EM algorithm for the MLE of multivariate Gaussian mixtures and dynamic constraints
EM algorithms for multivariate normal mixture decomposition have been recently proposed in order to maximize the likelihood function in a constrained parameter space having no singularities and a reduced number of spurious local maxima. However, such approaches require some a priori information about the eigenvalues of the covariance matrices. The behavior of the EM algorithm near a degenerated solution is investigated. The obtained theoretical results would suggest a new kind of constraint based on the dissimilarity between two consecutive updates of the eigenvalues of each covariance matrix. The performances of such a "dynamic" constraint are evaluated on the grounds of some numerical experiments.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Jiahua & Tan, Xianming, 2009. "Inference for multivariate normal mixtures," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(7), pages 1367-1383, August.
- Seo, Byungtae & Lindsay, Bruce G., 2010. "A computational strategy for doubly smoothed MLE exemplified in the normal mixture model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 1930-1941, August.
- Biernacki, Christophe & Chrétien, Stéphane, 2003. "Degeneracy in the maximum likelihood estimation of univariate Gaussian mixtures with EM," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 373-382, February.
- Ingrassia, Salvatore & Rocci, Roberto, 2007. "Constrained monotone EM algorithms for finite mixture of multivariate Gaussians," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(11), pages 5339-5351, July.
- Lawrence Hubert & Phipps Arabie, 1985. "Comparing partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 193-218, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:4:p:1715-1725. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.