Escaping RGBland: Selecting colors for statistical graphics
Statistical graphics are often augmented by the use of color coding information contained in some variable. When this involves the shading of areas (and not only points or lines)--e.g.,Â as in bar plots, pie charts, mosaic displays or heatmaps--it is important that the colors are perceptually based and do not introduce optical illusions or systematic bias. Based on the perceptually-based Hue-Chroma-Luminance (HCL) color space suitable color palettes are derived for coding categorical data (qualitative palettes) and numerical variables (sequential and diverging palettes).
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gelfand, Alan E. & Banerjee, Sudipto & Sirmans, C.F. & Tu, Yong & Eng Ong, Seow, 2007. "Multilevel modeling using spatial processes: Application to the Singapore housing market," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3567-3579, April.
- David Meyer & Achim Zeileis & Kurt Hornik, . "The Strucplot Framework: Visualizing Multi-way Contingency Tables with vcd," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(i03).
- Tenenhaus, Arthur & Giron, Alain & Viennet, Emmanuel & Bera, Michel & Saporta, Gilbert & Fertil, Bernard, 2007. "Kernel logistic PLS: A tool for supervised nonlinear dimensionality reduction and binary classification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(9), pages 4083-4100, May.
- Kneib, Thomas, 2006. "Mixed model-based inference in geoadditive hazard regression for interval-censored survival times," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 777-792, November.
- Harezlak, Jaroslaw & Coull, Brent A. & Laird, Nan M. & Magari, Shannon R. & Christiani, David C., 2007. "Penalized solutions to functional regression problems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4911-4925, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:53:y:2009:i:9:p:3259-3270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.