A smoothed bootstrap test for independence based on mutual information
A test for independence of multivariate time series based on the mutual information measure is proposed. First of all, a test for independence between two variables based on i.i.d. (time-independent) data is constructed and is then extended to incorporate higher dimensions and strictly stationary time series data. The smoothed bootstrap method is used to estimate the null distribution of mutual information. The experimental results reveal that the proposed smoothed bootstrap test performs better than the existing tests and can achieve high powers even for moderate dependence structures. Finally, the proposed test is applied to assess the actual independence of components obtained from independent component analysis (ICA).
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yongmiao Hong & Halbert White, 2005. "Asymptotic Distribution Theory for Nonparametric Entropy Measures of Serial Dependence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(3), pages 837-901, 05.
- La Rocca, Michele & Perna, Cira, 2005. "Variable selection in neural network regression models with dependent data: a subsampling approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 415-429, February.
- Ahmad, Ibrahim A. & Li, Qi, 1997. "Testing independence by nonparametric kernel method," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 201-210, June.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Consistent Nonparametric Entropy-Based Testing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 437-53, May.
- Meintanis, Simos G. & Iliopoulos, George, 2008. "Fourier methods for testing multivariate independence," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 1884-1895, January.
- Taskinen, S. & Sirkia, S. & Oja, H., 2007. "Independent component analysis based on symmetrised scatter matrices," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 5103-5111, June.
- Kojadinovic, Ivan, 2004. "Agglomerative hierarchical clustering of continuous variables based on mutual information," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 269-294, June.
- Buhlmann, Peter & Kunsch, Hans R., 1999. "Block length selection in the bootstrap for time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 295-310, September.
- Shimizu, Shohei & Hyvarinen, Aapo & Hoyer, Patrik O. & Kano, Yutaka, 2006. "Finding a causal ordering via independent component analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(11), pages 3278-3293, July.
- Zheng, John Xu, 2000. "A Consistent Test Of Conditional Parametric Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(05), pages 667-691, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:53:y:2009:i:7:p:2524-2536. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.