The Random Walk Of Stock Prices: Implications Of Recent Nonpara-Metric Tests
This paper applies six recently developed nonparametric tests of serial independence to monthly US stock returns. Findings of previous studies based on the BDS test are sup-ported since most of the new tests also reject the random walk hypothesis. Furthermore, power properties of the new tests are compared with those of the BDS test. The latter has much power against ARCH and GARCH alternatives whereas some of the more recent tests are superior against other alternatives. Finally, the power study of this paper shows, contrary to common belief, that ARCH and GARCH effects do not seem to explain rejec-tion of the random walk.
|Date of creation:||04 Aug 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 38 15 25 75
Fax: 38 15 34 99
Web page: http://www.cbs.dk/departments/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hsieh, David A, 1991. " Chaos and Nonlinear Dynamics: Application to Financial Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1839-77, December.
- Scheinkman, Jose A & LeBaron, Blake, 1989. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 311-37, July.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1996. "The econometrics of financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 15-102, May.
- Ahmad, Ibrahim A. & Li, Qi, 1997. "Testing independence by nonparametric kernel method," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 201-210, June.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Consistent Nonparametric Entropy-Based Testing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 437-53, May.
- repec:att:wimass:9520 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yongmiao Hong & Halbert White, 2005. "Asymptotic Distribution Theory for Nonparametric Entropy Measures of Serial Dependence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(3), pages 837-901, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cbsnow:2001_007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lars Nondal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.