On the choice of the smoothing parameter for the BHEP goodness-of-fit test
The BHEP (Baringhaus-Henze-Epps-Pulley) test for assessing univariate and multivariate normality has shown itself to be a relevant test procedure, recommended in some recent comparative studies. It is well known that the finite sample behaviour of the BHEP goodness-of-fit test strongly depends on the choice of a smoothing parameter h. A theoretical and finite sample based description of the role played by the smoothing parameter in the detection of departures from the null hypothesis of normality is given. Additionally, the results of a Monte Carlo study are reported in order to propose an easy-to-use rule for choosing h. In the important multivariate case, and contrary to the usual choice of h, the BHEP test with the proposed smoothing parameter presents a comparatively good performance against a wide range of alternative distributions. In practice, if no relevant information about the tail of the alternatives is available, the use of this new bandwidth is strongly recommended. Otherwise, new choices of h which are suitable for short tailed and long tailed alternative distributions are also proposed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fan, Yanqin, 1994. "Testing the Goodness of Fit of a Parametric Density Function by Kernel Method," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 316-356, June.
- Coin, Daniele, 2008. "A goodness-of-fit test for normality based on polynomial regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 2185-2198, January.
- Fan, Yanqin, 1998. "Goodness-Of-Fit Tests Based On Kernel Density Estimators With Fixed Smoothing Parameters," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(05), pages 604-621, October.
- Henze, Norbert, 1997. "Extreme smoothing and testing for multivariate normality," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 203-213, October.
- L. Baringhaus & N. Henze, 1988. "A consistent test for multivariate normality based on the empirical characteristic function," Metrika: International Journal for Theoretical and Applied Statistics, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 339-348, December.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Tenreiro, Carlos, 2001. "Local Power Properties of Kernel Based Goodness of Fit Tests," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 161-190, August.
- Fang, Hong-Bin & Fang, Kai-Tai & Kotz, Samuel, 2002. "The Meta-elliptical Distributions with Given Marginals," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 1-16, July.
- Sándor Csörgő, 1989. "Consistency of some tests for multivariate normality," Metrika: International Journal for Theoretical and Applied Statistics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 107-116, December.
- Henze, Norbert & Wagner, Thorsten, 1997. "A New Approach to the BHEP Tests for Multivariate Normality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 1-23, July.
- Arcones, Miguel A. & Wang, Yishi, 2006. "Some new tests for normality based on U-processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 69-82, January.
- Anderson, N. H. & Hall, P. & Titterington, D. M., 1994. "Two-Sample Test Statistics for Measuring Discrepancies Between Two Multivariate Probability Density Functions Using Kernel-Based Density Estimates," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 41-54, July.
- Romeu, J. L. & Ozturk, A., 1993. "A Comparative Study of Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Multivariate Normality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 309-334, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:53:y:2009:i:4:p:1038-1053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.