An analytical model to predict the thermal performance of a novel parallel flow packed bed solar air heater
A design of a parallel flow solar air heater with packed material in its upper channel and capable of providing a higher heat flux compared to the conventional non-porous bed double flow systems is presented. An analytical model describing the various temperatures and heat transfer characteristics of such a parallel flow packed bed solar air heater (PFPBSAH) has been developed and employed to study the effects of the mass flow rate and varying porosities of the packed material on its thermal performance. The model employs an iterative solution procedure to solve the governing energy balance equations describing the complex heat and mass exchanges involved. To validate the proposed analytical model, comparisons between theoretical and experimental results showed that good agreement is achieved with reasonable accuracy. Also, PFPBSAH is found to perform more efficiently than the conventional non-porous double flow solar air heaters with 10-20% increase in its thermal efficiency. Furthermore, the effect of the fraction of mass flow rate in the upper or lower flow channel of PFPBSAH device on its performance, has also investigated theoretically. The fraction of the mass flow rate in the respective channels of the PFPBSAH is shown to be dominant parameter in determining the effective thermal efficiency of the heater.
Volume (Year): 88 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cortés, A. & Piacentini, R., 1990. "Improvement of the efficiency of a bare solar collector by means of turbulence promoters," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 253-261.
- Yeh, Ho-Ming & Ho, Chii-Dong & Hou, Jun-Ze, 1999. "The improvement of collector efficiency in solar air heaters by simultaneously air flow over and under the absorbing plate," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 857-871.
- Yeh, H.-M. & Ho, C.-D. & Hou, J.-Z., 2002. "Collector efficiency of double-flow solar air heaters with fins attached," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 715-727.
- Sodha, M. S. & Bansal, N. K. & Singh, D., 1982. "Analysis of a non-porous double-flow solar air heater," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 251-258, December.
- Ozgen, Filiz & Esen, Mehmet & Esen, Hikmet, 2009. "Experimental investigation of thermal performance of a double-flow solar air heater having aluminium cans," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2391-2398.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:88:y:2011:i:6:p:2157-2167. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.