Optimal Willingness to Supply Wholesale Electricity under Asymmetric Linearized Marginal Costs
This analysis derives the profit-maximizing willingness to supply functions for singleplant and multi-plant wholesale electricity suppliers that all incur linear marginal costs. The optimal strategy must result in linear residual demand functions in the absence of capacity constraints. This necessarily leads to a linear pricing rule structure that can be used by firm managers to construct their offer curves and to serve as a benchmark to evaluate firm profit-maximizing behavior. The procedure derives the cost functions and the residual demand curves for merged or multi-plant generators, and uses these to construct the individual generator plant offer curves for a multi-plant firm.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holmberg, P. & Newbery, D & Ralph, D., 2008.
"Supply Function Equilibria: Step Functions and Continuous Representations,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0863, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Holmberg, Pär & Newbery, David & Ralph, Daniel, 2013. "Supply function equilibria: Step functions and continuous representations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(4), pages 1509-1551.
- Holmberg, Pär & Newbery, David & Ralph, Daniel, 2009. "Supply Function Equilibria: Step Functions and Continuous Representations," Working Paper Series 788, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Richard Green, 2007. "Nodal pricing of electricity: how much does it cost to get it wrong?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 125-149, April.
- Talat S. Genc & Stanley S. Reynolds, 2010.
"Supply Function Equilibria with Capacity Constraints and Pivotal Suppliers,"
1007, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Genc, Talat S. & Reynolds, Stanley S., 2011. "Supply function equilibria with capacity constraints and pivotal suppliers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 432-442, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ2:2012-04-9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.