A new stochastic dominance approach to enhanced index tracking problems
Enhanced Index Tracking is the problem of selecting a portfolio that should generate excess return with respect to a benchmark index. Here we propose a large-size linear optimization model for Enhanced Index Tracking that selects an optimal portfolio according to a new stochastic dominance criterion and we devise an efficient constraint generation technique to solve such a model. We then compare, on several well-known and publicly available financial data sets, the performances of the portfolios selected by our model to those of the portfolios obtained with other stochastic dominance approaches. The results seem to confirm the practical usefulness of stochastic dominance for portfolio selection.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Marc Bottazzi & Jaime Luque & Mario Pascoa, 2011.
"Securities market theory: possession, repo and rehypothecation,"
2011 Meeting Papers
1214, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bottazzi, Jean-Marc & Luque, Jaime & Páscoa, Mário R., 2012. "Securities market theory: Possession, repo and rehypothecation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 477-500.
- Carol Alexander & Anca Dimitriu, 2005. "Indexing, cointegration and equity market regimes," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(3), pages 213-231.
- Beasley, J. E. & Meade, N. & Chang, T. -J., 2003. "An evolutionary heuristic for the index tracking problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(3), pages 621-643, August.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2005:i:7:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrea Scozzari & Fabio Tardella & Sandra Paterlini & Thiemo Krink, 2012.
"Exact and Heuristic Approaches for the Index Tracking Problem with UCITS Constraints,"
Department of Economics
0685, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Andrea Scozzari & Fabio Tardella & Sandra Paterlini & Thiemo Krink, 2012. "Exact and heuristic approaches for the index tracking problem with UCITS constraints," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 081, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Canakgoz, N.A. & Beasley, J.E., 2009. "Mixed-integer programming approaches for index tracking and enhanced indexation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(1), pages 384-399, July.
- Haim Levy, 1992. "Stochastic Dominance and Expected Utility: Survey and Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(4), pages 555-593, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00706. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.