Relational contracts as a foundation for contractual incompleteness
Contractual incompleteness is generally defined by a trade-off between costs and benefits. We examine this trade-off in a dynamic setting and show how the ability of the parties to sustain a relational contract leads to more incomplete contracts.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernheim, B Douglas & Whinston, Michael D, 1998.
"Incomplete Contracts and Strategic Ambiguity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(4), pages 902-32, September.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1997. "Incomplete Contracts and Strategic Ambiguity," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1787, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Pierpaolo Battigalli & Giovanni Maggi, 2004.
"Costly Contracting in a Long-Term Relationship,"
04-33, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Surajeet Chakravarty & W. Bentley MacLeod, 2008.
"Contracting in the Shadow of the Law,"
NBER Working Papers
13960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tirole, Jean, 2008.
"Cognition and Incomplete Contracts,"
IDEI Working Papers
453, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- George Baker & Robert Gibbons & Kevin J. Murphy, 2002. "Relational Contracts and the Theory of the Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(1), pages 39-84.
- Kenneth S. Corts, 2004. "The Effect of Repeated Interaction on Contract Choice: Evidence from Offshore Drilling," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 230-260, April.
- Patrick Bajari & Steven Tadelis, 1999.
"Incentives versus Transaction Costs: A Theory of Procurement Contracts,"
99029, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Bajari, Patrick & Tadelis, Steven, 2001. "Incentives versus Transaction Costs: A Theory of Procurement Contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(3), pages 387-407, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.