Determinants Of Exchange Rate Fluctuations For Venezuela: Application Of An Extended Mundell-Fleming Model
Applying and extending the Mundell-Fleming model, this study attempts to examine the behavior of short-term real exchange rates for Venezuela. It finds that the real effective exchange rate is positively associated with real government deficit spending and negatively influenced by real M2, the world interest rate, county risk, and the expected inflation rate. Hence, the authorities need to exercise fiscal discipline so that deficit spending would not be too large to cause real appreciation and hurt exports. When country risk rises due to the financial, economic or political factors, real exchange rates would depreciate.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, Alan M. & Taylor, Mark P, 2004.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Debate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Schroder & Robert Dornau, 2002.
"Do forecasters use monetary models? an empirical analysis of exchange rate expectations,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 535-543.
- Michael Schröder & Robert Dornau, 2000. "Do Forecasters use Monetary Models? An Empirical Analysis of Exchange Rate Expectations," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-14, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Hilde Bjørnland, 2004.
"Estimating the equilibrium real exchange rate in Venezuela,"
AccessEcon, vol. 6(6), pages 1-8.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C., 2003. "Estimating the equilibrium real exchange rate in Venezuela," Memorandum 02/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Sarno, Lucio & Wohar, Mark, 2003.
"Monetary Fundamentals and Exchange Rate Dynamics Under Different Nominal Regimes,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2003
310, Society for Computational Economics.
- Lucio Sarno & Giorgio Valente & Mark E. Wohar, 2004. "Monetary Fundamentals and Exchange Rate Dynamics under Different Nominal Regimes," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 179-193, April.
- Sarno, Lucio & Valente, Giorgio & Wohar, Mark E, 2003. "Monetary Fundamentals and Exchange Rate Dynamics under Different Nominal Regimes," CEPR Discussion Papers 3983, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1988.
"Real Exchange Rates and Macroeconomics: A Selective Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
2775, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1989. " Real Exchange Rates and Macroeconomics: A Selective Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 401-32.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Sarno, Lucio, 1998.
"The behavior of real exchange rates during the post-Bretton Woods period,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-312, December.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 1997. "The Behaviour of Real Exchange Rates During the Post-Bretton Woods Period," CEPR Discussion Papers 1730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark P. Taylor, 1995. "The Economics of Exchange Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 13-47, March.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2004:i:6:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Osman Suliman, 2005. "Interest rate volatility, exchange rates, and external contagion," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(12), pages 883-894.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:6:y:2006:i:1_10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.