Determinants Of Exchange Rate Fluctuations For Venezuela: Application Of An Extended Mundell-Fleming Model
Applying and extending the Mundell-Fleming model, this study attempts to examine the behavior of short-term real exchange rates for Venezuela. It finds that the real effective exchange rate is positively associated with real government deficit spending and negatively influenced by real M2, the world interest rate, county risk, and the expected inflation rate. Hence, the authorities need to exercise fiscal discipline so that deficit spending would not be too large to cause real appreciation and hurt exports. When country risk rises due to the financial, economic or political factors, real exchange rates would depreciate.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hilde Bjørnland, 2004.
"Estimating the equilibrium real exchange rate in Venezuela,"
AccessEcon, vol. 6(6), pages 1-8.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C., 2003. "Estimating the equilibrium real exchange rate in Venezuela," Memorandum 02/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 1997.
"The Behaviour of Real Exchange Rates During the Post-Bretton Woods Period,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Sarno, Lucio, 1998. "The behavior of real exchange rates during the post-Bretton Woods period," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-312, December.
- Lucio Sarno & Giorgio Valente & Mark E. Wohar, 2004.
"Monetary Fundamentals and Exchange Rate Dynamics under Different Nominal Regimes,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 179-193, April.
- Sarno, Lucio & Valente, Giorgio & Wohar, Mark E, 2003. "Monetary Fundamentals and Exchange Rate Dynamics under Different Nominal Regimes," CEPR Discussion Papers 3983, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarno, Lucio & Wohar, Mark, 2003. "Monetary Fundamentals and Exchange Rate Dynamics Under Different Nominal Regimes," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 310, Society for Computational Economics.
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark P. Taylor, 2004.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Debate,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 135-158, Fall.
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark Taylor, 2004. "The Purchasing Power Parity Debate," Working Papers 46, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Taylor, Alan M. & Taylor, Mark P, 2004. "The Purchasing Power Parity Debate," CEPR Discussion Papers 4495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alan M. Taylor & Mark P. Taylor, 2004. "The Purchasing Power Parity Debate," NBER Working Papers 10607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark P. Taylor, 1995. "The Economics of Exchange Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 13-47, March.
- Osman Suliman, 2005. "Interest rate volatility, exchange rates, and external contagion," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(12), pages 883-894.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1988.
"Real Exchange Rates and Macroeconomics: A Selective Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
2775, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1989. " Real Exchange Rates and Macroeconomics: A Selective Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 401-32.
- Michael Schroder & Robert Dornau, 2002.
"Do forecasters use monetary models? an empirical analysis of exchange rate expectations,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 535-543.
- Michael Schröder & Robert Dornau, 2000. "Do Forecasters use Monetary Models? An Empirical Analysis of Exchange Rate Expectations," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-14, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2004:i:6:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:6:y:2006:i:1_10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.